Should my son and i start fresh in a new state?

Im a 25 yo mom who hasnt been able to make ends meet on her own and has resorted to living with her father again. I have family in texas and i think i may be better off living there, even if it is small town life. I am from new orleans, so things would be very different for me if I moved. But on the upside, the rent is nearly half of what it is here and i just think it may be time to put the past behind us and start with a clean slate. what do you think?

bbygrl1019

Asked by bbygrl1019 at 2:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would first be looking at job situation where you are thinking of moving too and also the difference if any in wages there, if rents half of what it is where you are now is average wage lower too? If it is good for jobs and wages are comparable then it sounds like it might be a good option. I wish you a lot of luck and hope things work out well for you and yours.
    lbranta

Answer by lbranta at 3:01 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Hi! I'm also 25 years old. My kids mean the world to me. I understand about you wanting to take care of yourself and your son. You definitely need to think things through before you move. Do you a place to stay, a job? If you have family out there you that can help you and it's a little less expensive... then it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Best Wishes!

Erika
    Everything is possible when you have Faith!
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If you can find a job before you go, that would be best. I am not sure how you can get an apartment without a job. Additionally, your child's father may be able to legally prevent you from moving; if he is not in the picture, you really need to file for child support - your child deserves this assistance.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I'd say go for it. That's what I did I moved from NY to Fl and things are more cheaper out here I've been here since 06 and so far so good. I will be honest I was freaking out cause no matter how bad things went in my home state I knew where to go and what to do but out in a state i didnt know anything about made me nervous but thank God its all good! and I'm happy that I made that move :)
    cditren

Answer by cditren at 6:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't suggest going from one being a depended into another situtation. Make sure you have plenty of funds now to live in TX. So you can pay your own way as an adult. In small towns jobs are scares so make sure perhaps you should have a job lined up.

Are you sure your husband would approve you moving out of state with his son? He might stop it with a court order.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• ^^^opps daughter not son
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I'm debating doing the same thing..moving to IL closer to all the family I have there (I would be related to like half the town lol). Check the commute to the nearest city (better for jobs), as well as to the nearest amenites you are used to having-grocery store, fast food, department stores, etc.
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 8:20 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• A fresh start is always good. But, if you find yourself moving everytime things get tight you should stay in one spot.:)
    iloveRiver

Answer by iloveRiver at 10:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2009