i dont think formula keeps my baby full... he's only 3mo old. advice needed!!!

in the evening my 3mo old son starts stacking his feedings and i'm not sure why. he eats on avg every three hours throughout the day (4-5oz). but then at about 5pm he eats a full feeding (4-5oz), then again 1-1 1/2 hrs later, then again 1-1 1/2 hrs later, etc until 9-9:30 when he falls asleep for the first half of the night. keep in mind he's eating FULL feedings each of those times (4-5oz). its not a growth spurt... this has been going on for weeks. and he refuses to eat more than 5oz at a time or go more than 3hrs between feedings. do any of your babies do this? any advice on how to stop him from eating so much in the evening? i know they say babies cant over eat...but this is starting to worry me a little. lots of people are telling me to add rice to his bottle (or just try it by spoon) to help him stay full longer during that time but i'm not sure i want to do that (PLEASE DO NOT GIVE ME A LECTURE ON HOW YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO GIVE INFANTS RICE CEREAL! ive read LOTS about that)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That sound a lot like my son and how he was at 12 weeks (3 months). I would put him in his bouncy chair and spoon feed him a very small amount of cereal. I made the cereal runny like formula. When he was done with the cereal I would give him  a normal bottle. I did this as dinner and I would do it at what was our dinner time.  At first it was awkward, but within 5 nights he got it and was doing fine with it being on a spoon.

As time moved on I would do this 2 times an day and finally 3 times a day. By the time he was 6 months he was eating cereal with a spoon 3 times a day and that's when I started to add veggies and fruits.

DS, near 12 weeks had a well check the Dr told me: The baby is healthy, growing, and happy, your doing fine. You know your baby and you know if they need more food. etc.  The Dr even wanted to know how DS was handling the spoon. With DD it was the same deal but it started when she was 4 months.

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I gave my daughter rice cereal at bedtime starting at 3 weeks she is perfectly fine. depending on your bottles, I used dr browns and just get a level four do a four oz with 4 to 6 scoops depending on his gag reflux my daughter was very sensetive so it had to be thicker or she would drink it too fast and gag and end up throwing up it is also harder to burp them with the thicker meals but make sure you get a burp or he will be in pain you can also spoon feed it but my daughter would never get enough this way thats why I just bottle fed her I loved it it worked wonders she slept through the night from then on til she hit 7 months and started teething let me know if you have any other questions
    model4u

Answer by model4u at 2:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• my son is 7 months old and breast feed but still likes to eat more at night than any other time in the day. so i sleep with him and swap sides every once in awhile,, your baby is bottle feed and they say not to put cereal in the bottle, my first born would take two bottles 8oz before he went to bed at night and the second one was hard on me.. i started putting rice into the bottle and he slept more at night after that and he was only 8 wks old.. its hard but do what you thank is best or ask your parents who raised you, and what they did for you. doctors have to tell you what is best but they might not believe it themselfs ask around or call a midwife up and see what they say.
    sunshinex8

Answer by sunshinex8 at 3:18 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Why are you rushing your child to take in more than he's ready for? That's what 3mo babies do. Eat, sleep, and poop a lot. He's fine. Pushing the cereal before his tummy is ready could set you up for a whole different set of problems. Don't try to rush him through his infancy. It will fly by before you know it!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:56 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I gave all 3 of my kids cereal in their bottles at about 3 weeks old. They are fine and healthy. You do what you feel is right for your child. Funny how so many things are wrong now but how did they ever manage in the good old days?
    devils_advocate

Answer by devils_advocate at 6:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• first of all alot of people probably aint gonna agree with me but i gave my son rice cereal at 2months because he was such a cow lol he wanted to eat all the time so the doctor suggested feeding him 4 oz every 2 hrs instead no more than that so if she told me that then it should be ok for u to try every 2hrs. see it helped but at night he woke up every two hrs so i added 1 tbsp of rice cereal i didnt see much of a difference so my friend has been giving her son oatmeal cereal in his bottles so thats what ive been doin and he stays full!!!they say oatmeal is better on the tummys then rice cereal because rice cereal seems to make the babys constipated which it did with my son oatmeal hasnt...its all up to u mommy u know whats best for ur child
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 7:48 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• nobody else if u feel u wanna feed him a little more or rice cereal do it.ima let u know on a secret that a doctor told me...a doctor told me that the only reason why other physicians say not to give a baby rice cereal or foods early is because of the over weight situation in society and they say not to because of caution. she told me it was fine to do just watch how much i give it to him and progress amount slowly. hope this helps good luck
    ShYmAmA08

• by the way just make sure u burp him REALLY GOOD...because rice cereal does produce more gas bubbles and makes them a little constipated
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 7:49 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• devils advocate:: that is sooo true lol...my aunt tells me to give my son regular milk i tell her the doctor says not to shes like oh the doctors now days would probably shit their pants to live in the old days.so many things docotrs say not to do and ive done every single one of them anyway lol and my kids are fine healthy and beautiful.i think they say alot to make themselves feel smarter lol
    ShYmAmA08

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 7:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• oh, don't give your baby cereal, he's only 3 months old. He's not ready. It can lead to obesity as he gets old, so I guess if you want a big 'ol fat kid then go ahead, but I wouldn't do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2008