Children and Accidents. Are YOU a perfect Parent???

SO today one of my GREATEST fears was realized and it was AWFUL. I accidentally locked my 3 year old in our minivan with the keys inside. I FREAKED OUT - I yelled at the closest person and asked if they had a cell phone (because mine was inside the car). I called my husband and he came fast. Thankfully we weren't very far from home. AND my DD was FINE.
I was getting ready to get INTO the car. I was so freaking out and scared. SHE was fine. And it was a cold day so she was burning up inside the car. BUT STILL. It seriously is one of my greatest fears and it actually happened!!!

SO my question is: HAS THIS HAPPENED TO YOU? OR SOMETHING SIMILAR (as in 'GREATEST FEAR being REALIZED'??)

Blubuni99

Asked by Blubuni99 at 3:17 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My dd and I were playing hide and seek in the back yard and when I closed my eyes and told her to go hide, she went out of our back yard. She's not allowed to cross the street so she went to the house next door, got in their back yard and I couldn't find her for 1 whole hour!!! I was so stupid to ACTUALLY close my eyes. She was 3 when that happened.

Another thing. When she was 3 we got her new "big girl bed". First night out of her crib so I checked a lot on her during the night. Anyway, I checked on her at 4 am and then again at 7am when I woke up. I opened the door and she was not on the bed! I freaked out and started calling neighbours, relatives, friends and the police!! At about 10am she woke up and got up from under the bed where she was sleeping. Silly me, I didn't look under the bed!!
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 9:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I have to wait a few more years before i will find out if i will be facing my greatest fears.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• so g;ad your daughter was fine..its such a scary feeling, i can imagine!!

my biggest fear that happened to me once was.....one time myself, my mom and my daughter (she was 2 at the time) went to walmart, we all walked into the store together, and found out there were no buggies inside, so my mom told me to go outside and get one..so i did..my mom started walkin, and i turned around to go outside, and i yelled back "watch alexis!!" and off i went..i was gone for a few minutes, because there were none right by the door so i had to search for one...it was christmas time so it was busy...and when i walked back in my daughter was the crying her eyes out, and my mom was no where to be found!!! we finally found her a few minutes later, and turns out she didnt hear me say to watch her, but oh my goodness...the thought of what COULD of happened scared the crap outta me...i felt soooooo horrible!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:57 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I locked my son in the car on accident and I lost him once at a friend's house, we found him in back of her garage but it was really scary!!

No one is the prefect parent. Accidents happen, it's the way you handle the situation that makes you a good parent. IMO.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I lost my 16 month old in Sears! She went under a clothes rack and out the other side, that part is where I messed up, I went grab her from under the rack and she was gone. I went tograb my 2 week old and turned back to look for her and she somehow made it around the corner and way out of sight! It took me and security 25 very long minutes to locate her. I bought a double stroller that day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• my kid was busy playing lil kid pc game and i went to have fun with my hubby,then i hear him at my door so i tell my hubby to hurry cause i can hear him by the hall now,well we finish and im flying out cause my baby is saying i want mommy.as i walk out to get him i notice he is not in the hall,but actually by the front door, with my front door wide open,yelling "i want mommy" omg i wanted to die my baby said it 4 times before i came out,(i was dressing) and the whole time some one could have heard him and took him,im like so overprotective over him i cant belive something like that could happen to me! but it did and now i know both locks need to be on or i can get in to big trouble,and this years 2009 "horrible mother award " goes to.................................................................................... me! gosh i even wanan cry now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Seriously I DO NOT beat my children... lol
    I once locked my daughter in my van at a friends house. It happens. My oldest daughter put her hand through our front door window and needed 5 stitches on her wrist (2007). My third child climbed on my son's bunk beds, fell, and needed 2 stitches on her chin (2004), I went pee across the hall for 2 minutes. My youngest daughter tripped and fell smacked her forehead and they used dermabond instead of stitches (2008). Thankfully this year was accident free... so far. My oldest hasn't had any accidents yet he is 15. Although he's been in the hospital way more than of my other children because of his asthma.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• The worst so far for us is falling down steps. We live in a split level so we don't have like 13 steps in a row or anything, but DD has fallen down a few times. Mostly just when she is walking down and slips or is knocked down by one of our dogs. Once she was behind me when I was putting the dogs to bed in the basement. I thought she was in the family room watching TV, so I didn't close the door behind me (only takes 5 seconds to give them each a Milkbone biscuit and close the pen door). I turned around just in time to see her tumble down the 4 wooden steps smacking her forehead on the concrete block wall to the side and slap down on the concrete floor. I was horrified and just knew I'd have to take her to the ER. Minus a bump on her forehead, she was okay though. DD was almost 2 when that happened and she is 3-1/2 now.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I locked my son int he car once. It was the 4th of july we were on base after the fireworks I had set him in the car and tossed my keys up front like I always did, but for soem reason this time I hit the back lock which locked all the doors( IDK why) and then when I relized what I did it was too late. I had to run up to the MP station by the gate and they were able to jimmy my locks. Thankfuly he slept thru the whole thing. He was 7 months old LOL
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• thank God its never happened to me but I use to work on a daycare and a mom locked in her one year old the same way and they were out there well over an hour with other parents and daycare personal trying to pop the lock till they finally decided to call the firefighters for help. The lady cried her butt off.
    cditren

Answer by cditren at 6:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2009