Can I still find a good job if I only have a training certificate, and not an actual degree?

its cheaper to get a certificate, and I have found certificates for about the same thing I can get a degree for, but the certificate costs less. Can I still get a good job with one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Hi, I was checking out the questions again today and happened to come across this one again.

I think you should go out and apply for the jobs that you are certified for. In your interviews be sure to let them know that you are a hard worker, quick to learn, passionate about whatever it is you are applying for, and willing to do what it takes. If they say they just cannot hire you without a degree ask them if they would consider hiring you while you attend college for the degree they require so that you can gain work experience and be a beneficial employee to them once you have earned your degree. A few companies may even be willing to help pay for your college in exchange for you working for them.

It doesn't hurt to put yourself out there and try.
    I wish you all the best!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:10 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• you can but more than likely the pay wont be that great vs someone with a degree in that area.
    cditren

Answer by cditren at 5:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It depends on what the employer prefers and whether they think you have enough experience.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:08 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• In general, employers prefer to hire people with more education.

No matter which path you choose, stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 AM on Dec. 7, 2009