My daughter's first insult...

I have 3 girls- 13, 8 and 3. The two older ones apparently thought my youngest one some insults. I got home from work and I said to my little one "Hi Michelle" and she said "hello cheesehead". I was shocked to hear that! Then Jodie, my middle one came to the living room and Michelle stood next to her and said "I'm with dummy". Should I punish her? Or the older ones..?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would not tolerate that. It's disrespectful. I wouldn't punish her, but I would have a talk with the 3 year old. As for your older girls, they should know better, and I would take a privelage away for a short time. If you let it go now, they will keep it up and it will only get worse.
    lilmama2be

Answer by lilmama2be at 8:29 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• names like cheesehead, stinkbutt, stuff like that i dont care..my 4 yr old hears that in some cartoons...i would be upset though if i heard them calling each other dummy, stupid, etc..
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• my son knows its okay to have fun and joke around with each other (family) but i tell him you dont do it with others (kids at school)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I would just talk with your youngest and explain to her that it isn't nice to call anyone names. The older girls know better, and should be punished. Possibly take their computer time away, or some other privelege for a short time. I'm sorry this happened to you,Hon.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 8:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• First you should find out who said that to your youngest. then dole out the punishment. I would not punish the youngest. Because she heard those words from you older two girls. I would tell her not to say those word again. Because they are not nice word.

Answer by louise2 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My 5-yr-old and I have 80's shows night every week. We watch Punky Brewster, Family Matters, Sister Sister, Full House, The Cosby Show and other shows like these, The words cheesehead, dumb, jerk etc are on these shows all the time, so my dd knows these words. And it's ok for her to use them at home, she's not allowed to use them in frond of other kids, though.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 8:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• And where were YOU while your older ones were teaching these to your youngest one?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• You should punish yourself. Seriously, you're so irrisponsible. I'd never let that happen. Do you leave your kids alone? You know someone should turn you to social services for that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Anon :02 and :25 - Seriously... what is with people not READING the question??? Can you NOT read? It clearly says... "I came home from work".... And if you knew the law, she doesn't TECHNICALLY have to have a babysitter - the oldest is 13, which means she is old enough to be a certified babysitter. Grow up!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 9:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• A 13yo is NOT mature enough to babysit. And if the mother was at work, that means she was gone for a long time. Now, is that responsible? If you can't take care of your kids you shouldn't have any!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2009