I want to go back to school..business management or real esate?

I am looking to start out in a local techinical college, so either program would be a 2 year degree. Which field has better job prospects? I wanted to go into property management, but I'm not sure even how to go about that. Do I have to start my own company? Anyone know of any similar jobs to this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would go for business management since you can do more with it just in case. In my area, I see quite a few places looking for a property manager, however, most of them want you to live there on the premises. You could start your own small business and offer rent collection, grounds keeping, and light maintenance (if you or your husband have the skills). Call round to different properties and see if they are interested in it. My parent's own rental property and they are looking into something like this. They both have full time jobs and really don't have the time to manage the property efficiently.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Whichever way you go, I would definitely spend some time in a real estate office, even better if they do property management services. Find a friendly broker or experienced agent who will let you shadow for a few days and see the behind the scenes real business. You need to know law, negotiation, persuasion, patience, - you know even bartender training would be helpful.
    It is also helpful to know some carpentry, plumbing and electrical terminology so you won't be taken advantage of by service providers. Start watching the weekend HGTV shows.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 9:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Well, since the real estate market somewhat SUCKS right now, I would chose business management.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• What else can I do with a business management degree besides retail?

And I understand the real estate market is horrible right now, but getting my degree will take at least 2 years, probably closer to 3, as I am not able to go full time. I am trying to look to the future.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• "What else can I do with a business management degree besides retail?"

The possibilities are endless! Check out this website. It did not show one for business management but it has it for business and management. Now, granted, some of these jobs would require a B.S. but there are several entry level positions that you can enter with an A.S or an A.A.S. Good Luck!

Business

Management

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• What about business administration? It can be applied to any company not just retail.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2009