Since my 10 year old knows the truth about Santa his behavior been terrible!

Ugh! My 10 year old is driving us nuts! He won't listen when told what to do, he plugs his ears and says "I know MOM"! He's been really annoying and rude to us. He acts like a total brat! We got into it lastnight and again this morning...I feel bad, he doesn't care! I told him he didn't deserve anything for Christmas!
What should I do? Do all 10 year olds act like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Did he recently find out or has he known? If he has known then I would remind him that just because the presents have been purchased and wrapped there is nothing stopping you from unwrapping them and returning them. If he just find out the first still applies but I would talk to him about this possible shock and disappointment. You also might what to ask him why he is having such a hard time, there might be something that you can help him with.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• You won a lottery and got the 1 in 20 child who acts like a teenager before his time.
    You can tell him Santa doesn't exist, but there is a greater force at work in this world. He does not want to experience the wrath of a mother pushed over the edge.
    On the positive side, if he gets it out of his system now, you may have a dream teenager.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• aww you should'nt have told him that =( Maybe he thinks bc there is no santa that he wont be getting anything..why dont you tell him that he will still get gifts..maybe even take him shopping to pick a few out and then wrap them or ask him if he would rather be suprized
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Yet another reason why I have not taught my kid that Santa exists.
    Take away everything but his bed, his blanket, and his pillow. Tell him if he doesn't act right, not only will he lose Christmas this year, but everything that he owns that brings him pleasure will also be taken. you are only required to give him three meals a day and WATER to drink, clean clothes(take away even his favorite outfits, and make him wear a uniform to school!!!), and a five minute shower as needed. Everything else is a luxery.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 8:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My kids are 13,15,16 and 20 and they all believed in Santa as kids. I believe it's cruel for parents to not allow their kids to believe in Santa while they're young and innocent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I would tell him "naughty and nice" still applies to his behavior and what will be under the tree for Chirstmas.

As far as not having your kids believe in Santa, well my sister never did Santa with her kids and they have no imagination they act like little adults.
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 10:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• "My kids are 13,15,16 and 20 and they all believed in Santa as kids. I believe it's cruel for parents to not allow their kids to believe in Santa while they're young and innocent. "

FUCK that shit!!! You don't think it's cruel to lie to your kids and then crush them later? Yeah. That's a GREAT way to encourage them to be honest and make them trust you. *rolls eyes and shakes head* People REALLY got shit twisted with this whole Santa Claus mess...
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 11:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Neither of my kids believe, and they have AWESOME imaginations!!! *shakes head again*
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 11:01 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I agree, just because he knows there's no Santa, that doesn't mean 'naughty and nice' doesn't apply. Sounds like you need to sit him down and explain to him the reason for the ruse and what he should be getting out of it.

As for those mothers who think it's either wrong or terrible to not let your kid to believe in Santa, whatever. My parents never forced the issue on us and I was never let down or disappointed when finding out "Santa isn't real."If you think not believing in Santa stifles creativity, you're oh-so wrong. One case does not represent all cases. I have a friggin' degree in film productions -- if that doesn't scream 'requires imagination' then you're out of your mind!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It has always stumped me how otherwise truthful and rational people convince themselves that it is fine to create ELABORATE lies about a non-existent man who sees you when your sleeping and knows when your awake, knows if you have been bad or good - Yet, some of these same people tell their kids that Jesus never existed, nor is he the son of God.
    Anonymous