Which do you see more?

Every year, and this one is no different, I see at least 6 people whining about not being "allowed" to talk about Christmas or say Merry Christmas or staple Jesus to a courthouse or whatever, for every 1 person I see actually complaining about someone saying "Christmas." I see dozens of "oppressed" people, and rarely hear anyone doing the shouting and complaining that is supposedly oppressing them. In fact, the only time I really ever see anyone complain about it at all, is in response to people pre-emptively whining about being PC'd to death.

How often do you hear someone, without provocation, complain about Christmas? How often do you hear someone claim they're being yelled at for mentioning Christmas? Does the number of people "starting it" remotely account for the number of people complaining about it?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I've actually never seen anything to the degree that my family talks about it. I think it's a perceived notion of oppression, frankly. Asking someone to be respectful about the beliefs of others is NOT persecution.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 12:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I honestly never heard so much complaining til I came to this site. I never heard anyone get yelled at for saying merry Christmas and I never have heard anyone try to start something about it. It is annoying that you have to the PC all the time or you might "hurt" someones feelings. I just think people need to get over it.

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:57 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It is annoying that you have to the PC all the time or you might "hurt" someones feelings.

Well, there's one more for the pre-emptive...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Whatever , you asked for an answer I gave you one
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I have never seen anyone compalin about somoeone else saying Merry Christmas. I have never seen anyone told to take down a Christmas decoration/

Last year while planning the holiday show for my daughters school, some on the board thought about cutting some of the songs in case you MIGHT offend...we spoke up and said, don't take the songs OUT, just add some OTHER type of songs so ALL the KIDS are included....They did and there wasn't one complaint from a school of over 600 with many different cultures and religions

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Well honestly around here I dont have to worry about it ..Most celebrate Christmas and even have no issue with including Christ in Christmas..I have witnessed a bit of nastiness though when I travel around from a few people..This isnt in relation to Christmas but not long ago a family had to fight in court to keep a couple little handmade crosses up on the side of a road not too far from here where their family members had an accident and died..Apparently somebody didnt like seeing the very small crosses there ...seems crazy to me esp when those are put all over down here when someone dies in a wreck..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:19 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• The only place I hear about it is here. For me, it's the way I was raised, I say Merry Christmas. Others say Happy Holidays. There are several other greetings you see and hear on a military base year round, all of them cultural and never once have I seen or heard about anyone taking offense, in the many places I've lived in this country. And I agree with your point Sweet, inclusion makes more sense then exclusion to me.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• For the record ive heard 'happy holidays'..Hanukkah..Yule etc..and it doesnt bother me I always take it as it is meant..a good greeting.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I have never heard of anyone getting "in trouble" for saying Merry Christmas. Where we live, it is still Merry Christmas. My dd is in 1st grade. They STILL say ONE NATION UNDER GOD. They celebrate Christmas. Our winter break is still called Christmas Break, which is 2 weeks long and should be called Deer Season break, since that is why we get two weeks off for Christmas.

There is more complaining, fighting, and overall bitchyness on this site than I have ever seen.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 9:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

•  

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 7, 2009