What do you think of profesional athlete kids?

My daughter is 9 and she's been doing gymnastics since she was 3. She's very good at it and she loves it. Her trainer called me last week and told me I should enroll her in a profesional group.
I know sports are nice for kids, but my daughter is NOT a good student at school. Enrolling her in a prof group would mean she'd have to spend way too much time practicing and much less time for homework.
She is not interested in her schoolwork AT ALL!!
Would you enroll her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Would there be a tutor provided in the professional group? She might do better with the one on one tutor or small group learning than she does in school. If this is something that she wants to do, I would say try it for a year, and if her grades don't improve, then I would re-consider. However, I WOULD NOT do this if she is not 100% on board with doing it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• She may do better in school with a home school type curriculum. The one we use is a state certified public school and free, but still offers schedule flexibility. Gymnastics is a sport for young people and if she is good enough to want to do something with she will have to make that decision soon. She may just need to have focus to do better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Yeah, I would. I know homeschooling isn't for everyone, but if it were one of my kids, I'd sign them up for the professional sport. You never know, they might compete in the olympics one day, and who knows what doors will open up for her. Then I'd homeschool - because with me as her one-on-one teacher, there's no way she could fall behind. (We've been there, so I know.)
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 8, 2009