Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I believe I have depression, but we can't afford the psyc. visits. Is there a way to get aid for that? Also, does anyone have disability for depression? Are there income requirements?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Health

Answers (4)
  • Go to the health department, sometimes they can work out discounted help for you and whomever may need it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

  • To get disability for depression it normally is in conjunction with another disorder but you can apply for anything. Getting it is another thing and it has to be documented by doctors. There is usually a mental health facility in most areas that are either free or income based. Look in your phone book for a crisis line. They would know where to send you. Keep in mind there are two types of depression, circumstantial and physiological. One means that something is going on that is depressing you (death, divorce, stress, aging, pain, winter) and the other means it's inside your body. I won't take subscription meds for mine but I do take over the counter 5-HTP when I feel it is getting bad.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:04 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

  • Google "Community Health Centers" to find the master Web site of government-run health clinics that will see anyone, regardless of their ability to pay. You can drill down to find the location of a clinic near you.

    Good luck

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

  • Six years ago, I suffered from a detached retina while using the Cymbalta prescribed by my doctor. Afterwards, I swore off any prescription meds. I would have to say most importantly, start taking a high quality vitamin and mineral supplement. Maybe also a natural product containing St. Johns Wort, which helps depression. Also, get the toxins out of your home! Certain store brand products contain neurotoxins which adversely affect the nervous system, causing you to feel angry, tired, confused, fatigued, irritable and more. And, do some exercise, get out in the sun WITHOUT sunscreen for about 10-20 miutes a day or take a good Vitamin D3 supplement. I have found some VERY good vitamins and health specific supplements that have even helped with my fibromyalgia. If you'd like to know about about what I use, please contact me anytime.


    Answer by GreenLiving at 12:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Health
vagina question

Next question overall (General Parenting)