How do I get my dd to eat healthy?

She's five and HATES healthy food.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Then she doesn't get junk anymore. She is the child, you are the parent. If she doesn't eat what is served, she doesn't eat. If junk is not available, then she can't eat it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• She shouldn't have an option. Start feeding the entire family, even yourself, healthy food. I assume she's eating what the family eats right? Start serving whole grains instead of white. Serve lots of fruits and veggies. In fact fruits are great for dessert. Premake meals and snacks so you aren't tempted to give her the quick junk foods.
    She will only love what you give her whether its junk or healthy. She won't starve herself for long but it will take some consistency and patience on your part.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Experiment with slipping healthier substitutions into her favorite foods. Like, mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes, or sweet potato fries, or making spaghetti with whole grain pasta instead of regular. One of my favorite yummy healthy dishes is oven fried chicken. You get those thin strips(or cut a breast into thin strips) and dip them in a low fat dressing like ranch, or whatever your (or her) favorite is, roll them in cracker or goldfish crumbs, and bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes, then you serve them with the same dressing to dip them in. She is going to be picky at this age, though, so you may just have to pick your battles and simply not let her have access to junk food. If healthy food is all there is to snack on or eat, that is what she will have.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 9:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• eliminate the unhealthy food - remove it from the house if you have it, and stop buying it.

if they see YOU eat healthy, for the most part they'll do it too. yes it will be a struggle.

start with one new thing at every meal. and branch out from there.

start preparing what you do serve in healthy ways - baked, broiled, steamed instead of fried.

when you go to the grocery stock up on fruit and veggies - when you get home wash and cut those so that they are the easy snack.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Ok, well here re a few ideas that may work depending on her personality.
    1. get her involved in picking the meal plans, or shopping list, etc. Let her help choppd the veggies.
    2. Make it look like she has options on the table. So maybe a veggie on her plate, plus put a plate in the center of the table with finger foods like, fruit and veggies with dip choices to munch on while the meal is being served. That way if she doesnt want whats on her plate she has choices.
    3. Sneaky chef: Mix in secret veggies into your sauces. EX: jarred carrot baby food in mac & cheese.
    Try to keep the healthy snacks very easy to serve. Clean and cut up fruits and veggies when you get them home from the store, put in single serve zip lock bags to grab on a monents notice, applesauce, kiddo yogurts, jello with fruit in it. Homemade yougurt and fruit smoothies.
    Good luck hope an idea I added helps
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 9:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I am having the same prob with my son he is 3 I am starting to puree stuff and mix it in with other stuff. Like I pureed carrots and put in the speg sauce and put it in mac n cheese. I am also getting harder on him like this morning he went for Doritos and I said no way bud and made him eat an apple instead
    HuggiesMom

Answer by HuggiesMom at 9:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• don't let her know it is healthy.. I took my son to a GI doctor. He was eating too much junk while I was at work. The doctor sat him down and let him know that if he wasn't going to eat healthly that his current issues were going to get much worse. If times get drastic at her next checkup have the PED tell her that her eating habits need to be fixed. It worked for my son. I allow him some junk when I am home. Not a lot . My dh on the other hand feeds him and the other kids so much junk. It affects their digestive system after awhile.
    Get yummy dips for veggies. Get baked chips. Whole wheat breads. Whole grain cereals. DOn't tell her it is different. Let her know if she doesnt eat it. She will be one hungry little girl
    sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Don't buy junk food....Serve only healthy foods....As long as she is a typically developing child, she'll eat when she's hungry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Stop presenting unhealthy food and only present healthy food. She will get hungry and eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Don't give her junk food to eat. She might refuse a meal or two but eventually she will eat what you make. She has learned her eating habits from you and cannot run to the store and buy unhealthy foods. You control this so simply only provide healthy foods in your home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2009