Promotion

I'm an OB/GYN and I just got a proposal for a new promotion. Yes, this is great and it pays 30,000 more a year but, this requires moving to a new city. My husband and baby are content about living in NY but I really want this. I don't want to be SELFLESS or SELFISH. Any ideas?

iloveRiver

Asked by iloveRiver at 9:50 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• It's not selfish to what to do what is best for your family in the long run. They may be happy where they are now, but something tells me that they will become happy somewhere else as well. And with an income increase of that size life could become a good bit easier and fruitful. Which also causes happiness through ease!

For me this would be no question! Unless the city you are required to move to is somewhere dangerous or where you would be forced to live in fear, I don't see the issue here at all! Happiness can be found anywhere, promotions like that can't!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:22 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Take your family to the new city. Research schools and whatever else interests you: museums, sports teams, dance troups, etc. I would make this a family decision.

If the new city is Chicago, feel free to contact me offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:36 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• That's a really tough situation to be in. Personally, I think that your husband should be open to the idea, because it is a really great oppertunity for you. In a marriage there are things we do for our partners to make them happy, even if it means upsetting our own comfortable lifestyle. A promotion that could better your lives financially and you personally is one of those things. Talk with your husband, share your feelings on the matter, and see if he is willing to understand how much this would benefit you all.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:45 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Look at the cost of living and see if the "raise" will be truly worth it!! If so, id say go for it!!! that sounds like an amazing amt of money, if you have a chance take time to go visit the city where the proposal is from. Take a tour get a feel of where you could be moving to, if you like it move. there is no harm in change.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• i would just investigate and way out all the options. what is the cost of living there? what is the housing market like? how well ranked are the schools? crime? things like that. Then from there judge whether or not the money would make a big enough difference to move and discuss that with your husband!
    Des10ed2b

Answer by Des10ed2b at 11:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Military wives move all the time with their husband careers every couple of years. Talk about moves and having no say so. lol

Time for your husband to be supportive on this one. $30,000 is a lot money to not to consider. As someone suggested compare the two cities and see what it offers.  See if your company will pay for your move.  Also, if you know the insides of where you would be working like it's people that might be something to consider. 

Anonymous