what can i give my constipated baby

Dani3lla

Asked by Dani3lla at 9:52 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with rkoloms, make sure your baby's actually constipated first. I went through this with my dd, sometimes they just don't poop. However, 1oz prune juice to 3oz water is usually the remedy. But be sure to read the ingredients on the prune juice you pick up! I found the best choice is Sunsweet's no-sugar added prune juice. The ingredients shouldn't have anything else in it besides prunes and water! Especially NO high fructose corn syrup. Only give this once a day.

If this doesn't work, you might have to do a warm-water enema as a last resort.
    Cenchan

Answer by Cenchan at 10:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• some prune juice diluted with water. they love the taste because it is sweet. Dont give too much, or youll end up with diarrhea! And it wont affect breastfeeding, I gave it to my 5 month old when she was constipated really bad, and she was EBF.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:07 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• What are the symptoms, and what is baby's diet? How old?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Are you sure that your baby is really constipated? A breastfed baby can and will go more that a week without a bowel movement.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:34 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• it depends on the age...constipation is very hard pebble like poops, not straining. BF AND FF babies can go days without pooping. If baby is under 6 months I would not give juice.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:38 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• How old is she and how do you know she's constipated? If she isn't in pain then she's not constipated. BF babies can poop at every diaper change or once every 10 days. Both are completely normal.

If your baby is over 6 months old and is truly constipated (wiggling, writhing, and crying out in pain) then you can give prune juice.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2009