• In the Spotlight:

Can anyone tell me what is the danger of a pierced tongue at work?

This is not about appearance, this is about danger. They changed the work hand book at my work and this is one of the things that you can no longer wear because it's a safety concern. I think it is stupid and I am going to talk to HR about it but if anyone could give me a good explanation on why it's dangerous, I may reconsider. I work at a desk, by myself for most of the day... I do some outside at times though. I have had my tongue pierced for 7 years with no problems or "danger" scares. Thanks in advice.

ProudMom_5703

Asked by ProudMom_5703 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (-7 Credits)
  • haha I hardly see how it is dangerous. I suppose you might get an infection from not cleaning your ring well, but that has nothing to do with work! And really, I dont think HR is going to give you an exception, but I guess its worth a try!
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:10 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Oh I don't know but a tongue piercing is dangerous 24 hours a day, not just at work. Ask any Professional...a Dentist or Doctor. Besides, it looks ...tacky amd unprofessional. Sorry but that's the way most of us think of it. If you want a good job with good pay...if you want to keep the one you have, I would recommend taking the ugly thing out of your mouth.Okay?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I don't know, maybe it's a liability issue now. If you fall down the stairs at work and get injured you can most likely claim worker's comp. Maybe nowadays if you accidentally rip that thing out of your mouth by mistake at work they think you can try and get paid for it. Seems stupid to me too.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:15 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It's not ugly and no one hardly knows I have it because I don't make it obvious like most... it is dangerous personally but not at my job. I am alone for 90% of the day so no one has to see my "ugly" piercing. I make excellent money and I have been working here for 5 years... now they want to change everything and it sucks. They will allow my to keep my earrings in with studs (18 of them) but I will have to change the hoops I wear in my tragus's. (both and I think that's what it's called)
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I don't see how it's dangerous either, either then accidentially biting it.. If that's possible. Even if you accidentially ripped it out it wouldn't be covered under workman's comp.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:21 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• haha...maybe you could be playing with it in your mouth and all of a sudden it could be knocked out or a tooth could come out?

americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• maybe it goes for any peircings so they added the tounge one in too
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• jeez, Lindalu2 dont you have anything nice to say at ALL? snide little comments like that are not really helping people out...OKAY?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If your job offers insurance, then it could be a liability...something that they wouldnt cover, or that they would be forced to cover because they allowed you to keep it...i know of people who have ripped it out their mouth while eating. i personally swallowed parts to mine 3 times..lol...so it can be a hazard. to yourself not to others....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Dec. 7, 2009 by: Anonymous
    jeez, Lindalu2 dont you have anything nice to say at ALL? snide little comments like that are not really helping people out...OKAY?
    ************************
    It IS the truth and it DOES help to inform people who seem to be out of touch with what is expected of people in the work force, professional life, and remind them that Dentists and Doctors are not in favor of tongue piercings,etc. It causes erosion of mouth tissues, damage to the enamel on your teeth. And if she wants to be successful, she needs to present an appropriate image. A tongue piercing doesn't look good....sorry,but that SHOULD be helpful to most people.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2009