What kind of apples make the best applesauce?

My oldest son loves applesauce, but the kind you buy in the store ( most of it anyway) has high fructose corn syrup and all kinds of other junk in it. I want to make some homemade applesauce for him. I remember making applesauce for my youngest son when he was a baby, but that was years ago and I don't remember what kind of apples I used.What kind of apples make the best tasting applesauce?

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 10:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My husband only eats granny smiths, so that is what I use. Any firm, organic apple is fine.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• There are many All Natural applesauces out there (nothing but apples and water). But if you want to make your own, I think Gala's make a nice applesauce.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I use a variety of apples. It never tastes the same twice but it's always yummy!
    Anonymous

• I also use a variety. IMO the ones you get locally grown in the fall are the best, no matter what variety, but when I have to use grocery store apples, I use a mixture - Jonathan, MacIntosh, Golden & Red delicious, Braeburn...you get a better flavor when you use a mixture IMO.
    Anonymous