Student Banned From High School Yearbook For Making Funny Face

Fifteen-year-old Charlie Patton of San Antonio, Texas, mugged for her fellow students on picture day to get them to smile just before her own photograph was taken at for the James Madison High School yearbook.

School officials were less amused, and yanked Patton's photo from the yearbook. They even compared her facial expression to a gang sign.

http://www.parentdish.com/2009/12/03/student-banned-from-high-school-yearbook-for-making-funny-face?icid=main|main|dl5|link4|http://www.parentdish.com/2009/12/03/student-banned-from-high-school-yearbook-for-making-funny-face

Do you think a funny, open-mouthed grin is an equivalent to a gang sign?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 10:20 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL no..now she looked ridiculous and I could see where if she is allowed to do it more would lkely follow but I think they went overboard here
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:22 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Sometimes the best, most natural photographs are the ones made with the goofy face!!!! How silly (and troubling) for a school to quash such an expressive individual.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• #

There are a few goofy pictures in my old class photos. I use my 2nd grade school pic on my Facebook page.
    Although this is an extreme example of control, schools wanting only good looking photos is nothing new, my brother’s distinctive birthmark was airbrushed out of his photo. Ironically he is now a professional photographer.

Many kids are unrecognizable all dressed up for their yearbook pictures from how we remember what they looked like when we saw them in class.

If they want the pictures of the kids to all look the same, just use copies of one picture for all kids.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• That is so dumb, At my Jr High People made way worse than just an open mouth. I agree they went overboard
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I think the school went a little over board. It's obvious in the interview that the girl isn't a troubled child or whatever. I think it was a bit immature of the girl, but apparently it does coincide with her personality.

I think the school is wrong on this one.  Here is a clickable link :-) 

http://www.parentdish.com/2009/12/03/student-banned-from-high-school-yearbook-for-making-funny-face/

ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:27 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Ratchet, thanks for the clickable link. I never could master those! LOL
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:34 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• School officials were less amused, and yanked Patton's photo from the yearbook. They even compared her facial expression to a gang sign.

LMAO!!! Wasn't there a school that said a kid giving the peace sign was a gang sign too??? Sometimes the adults are more ridiculous than the kids

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Your right, Sweet. Then was a Jewish boy who was told to stop wearing his Star of David because it could be a gang sign too.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• The teenagers claim school officials have it wrong and they also said the punishment goes too far.

The brothers said after a Friday night football game at Milne Stadium in Albuquerque they were saying goodbye to other students.

They claim many in the group were making the same hand gesture, but they said they were the only ones to get in trouble because of it.

They claim the peace sign brought trouble.

"We were just throwing peace out the window, my brother went like that, and I went like that," said Dana Delouth.

"If you watch the college games the longhorns throw it up," said Donavon Delouth. "I didn't think it was nothing. The other kids threw it back and the only two black kids in the group get called out."

http://www.koat.com/news/20660736/detail.html
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• They are scared of kids now because of the things that happen occasionally ...kids bringing weapons to school,etc. But this is an example of the school being a little too cautious. However when my kids were in school the photographer would have done a retake and insisted on a normal pose. WHy did the photographer go with THAT pose? Crazy stuff.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2009