Why after 12 months do people continue to count their childs age in months?

When does it end? Why do they say their child is 26 months instead of just saying they have a 2 year old?

Shyma

Asked by Shyma at 10:28 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes they do..it drives me nuts, i cant counts months without taking a moment to think about it after the first year.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I never understood that either, but I guess it is a huge difference between a 13 month old and a 23 month old even though they are both technically considered 1 year olds.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Most people stop counting the months at 24 months. There is such a big difference between a 13 month one year old and a 22 month one year old. same goes for the two year olds, but I do not hear that as much. I stopped at 24 months old.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• eh i wonder that myself. i guess b/c theres so much change and growth with every month in a child that they want to recognize that. its not like saying "i'm 24" b/c full grown adults dont change much with every passing month like kids do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• To make you think and scratch your head while you try to do the math in your head real quick LOL
    IDK why I stop as soon as they are 1
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:35 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I used the months thing until my son turned 2. I wasn't originally planning on doing that after he turned 1, but his therapists all use the months thing and I got in the habit of it. Now he is 2 though....not 25 months. Lol. I don't want people to have to sit there and do the math to figure out how old he is.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I've always been puzzled by this as well. I just say my son is one and half. He'll be two in May. That's a lot easier than making someone try to figure out his age. LOL.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:40 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Because children that young do vary a lot. It makes sense to me as far at the age of three, but not any longer than that. I'll be stopping at 24 months unless asked. We're pregnant again now, and due two months after my daughter's second birthday, and a lot of people ask how far apart they'll be, so we tell them the months for that. When they are older, it'll be two years, but the people asking right now seem to want to know.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• to make us look like morons when we have to count in our heads....

drives me up the wall.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:55 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Because there is a huge difference between a one year old that is 15 months and a 1 year old that is 20 months. There is also a big difference between a 2 year old that is 25 months vs one that is 34 months. Each passing month has so many developmental and social developments before the age of 4 that I think it makes sense to count their ages in months.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2009