How long do your elementary school kids get to actually eat their lunch?

So- excluding the recess portion- how long are your children given to consume their food. My grrls cannot finish their lunch (small) in the amount of time they are given. AND are your children allowed to use the restroom and/or get a drink of water if they ask??? I am irked at their school...

mtnmama111

Asked by mtnmama111 at 10:34 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in

• My boys get 20 minutes to eat their lunch at school. They are 6 and 10. Not enough time for my 6 year old! My 6 year olds teacher has a set time when they are excused for a bathroom and drink break. Or they can ask to go when needed. My 10 year old can go whenever he needs to.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• 30 mins for lunch...kindergarten.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 10:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My daughter is in first grade, and she said she has plenty of time to eat her lunch. And that she's allowed to go to the bathroom if she needs to. She's also allowed to go to the bathroom at recess if she needs to.

Sorry, I can't remember the exact times for you!

Hope that helps. = )
    sweetheart1985

Answer by sweetheart1985 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Honestly the time they give kids is ridiculous. If you notice by the end of the year the kids all eat sooo fast that they start eating that way at home. At my aunts school lunch runs really smoothly, so the kids get through the line REALLY quickly. they end up with about 25 minutes to eat, which is long enough if they eat and THEN talk and joke. But when i was in school, we waited in line for ATLEAST 10 minutes so we would have 15 minutes to sit and eat. I hated it. Highschool was even worse. If your kids arent being allowed to use the bathroom (my teacher tried this), write a note, if that doesnt work schedule a conference with the principal AND The teacher. your child needs to be allowed to go to the restroom. but he doesnt need to use that as a time to play and get outta class!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• 20 minutes in elementary school

Answer by rkoloms at 10:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• That doesn't seem right honestly. By law, anyone working has to get a 30 minute lunch (and women are given more time). Why would give children only 20 minutes? I think they should get at least 30 minutes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Anon this is from the us dept of labor http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

"Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks. However, when employers do offer short breaks (usually lasting about 5 to 20 minutes), federal law considers the breaks as compensable work hours that would be included in the sum of hours worked during the work week and considered in determining if overtime was worked."

OP-ours are allowed 30 minutes and grade school is allowed potty breaks when needed, high school is more strict.

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• mine have 30 minutes, but they rarely finish.

its not the TIME, its the fact that they sit there and chatter and goof off when they should be eating. they've both admitted thats why they don't finish their lunches.

they can go to the bathroom and get a drink too if they need - but its lunch shouldn't you pack a drink?
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:18 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My daughter has 30 minutes as well. But, if she has hot lunch its less time depending on the size of the lunch line. I used to work for the school as a substitute (I did everything but teaching) It got to the point that I declined lunch room aid because I wasnt comfortable rushing kids and taking food away. My daughters teacher allows snack around 2pm so the kids can finish there lunch or bring a snack. I really appreciate that. I can remember being so hungry at that time.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• we make the grrls' lunches- and yes we pack a drink!!... I think she is talking more than she says she is... I just checked in with the teacher (new school) and they get 20 min... the school is undergoing construction she she was concerned about their safety going to bathroom- I let her know that my daughter has family health issues with kidneys and needs to be allowed to drink and pee on demand. At her last school they were allowed a water bottle on their desk and to go to bathroom whenever needed- one at a time of course...She doesn't (as of now) abuse potty breaks. Thanks for everyone's feedback!!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2009