What is going on with the secret service?

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The uninvited couple that sneaked into an exclusive state dinner at the White House joins a lengthy list of similar security lapses, according to a 2003 Secret Service report revealed Monday in the Washington Post.

The Secret Service -- the branch in charge of the president's security -- have mistakenly seen at least 91 breaches of their checkpoints since 1980, said the daily, adding that the report was used to train agents.

"This document reflects a proactive attempt to evaluate our security and obviously raises the awareness of uniformed division officers and agents about their jobs," Secret Service spokesman Edwin Donovan said, according to the Post.

"We have to be concerned about the threats to our protectees at all times, whether at the White House or away from the White House."

Does this worry you?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "We have to be concerned about the threats to our protectees at all times, whether at the White House or away from the White House."

In one of the more bizarre lapses at the president's heavily guarded mansion in Washington, an October 1982 breach known as "The Family Outing" saw a family of four in a minivan pull through the White House gates after honking their horn at agents.

They were stopped as they approached the West Wing entrance.

In a more serious example, the report highlights a 1994 incident where a man fired 29 semi-automatic rifle rounds at the White House from outside the perimeter fence before he was confronted.

Secret Service director Mark Sullivan accepted responsibility for the gatecrashed state dinner fiasco at a congressional hearing last week.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091207/pl_afp/ussecuritywhouse
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Nope, I welcome any and all security breaches by the SS for the next 3 years. Parties, picnics, basketball games, beer summits, wednesday night concert series events, you name it, have at it. It is the People's White House afterall. He said it himself, and hired someone willing to let anyone in with extra tables for the uninvited and a lack-a-daisical attitude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Craziness. I think ALL of Washington needs a major overhaul! When they figured in $80 BILLION dollars into the budget for medicare/medicaid FRAUD I realized they aren't even TRYING! This only furthers that belief!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:44 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Nope, I welcome any and all security breaches by the SS for the next 3 years.  WHY would you wish for that?

Parties, picnics, basketball games, beer summits, wednesday night concert series events, you name it, have at it. It is the People's White House afterall. He said it himself, and hired someone willing to let anyone in with extra tables for the uninvited and a lack-a-daisical attitude. This dates bacl to 1980 and is about the Secret Service and how it is run

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:47 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• ^Who Cares.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• The recent incident certainly seems to be more of a WH issue than a SS one. I can't speak for other events because the article doesn't list them specifically.

Personally though, I think it is darn nearly impossible to protect against all breaches. You would literally have to have a wall of SS around the president to prevent them. Some venues are natually less secure than others.

This is just further example of a government that cannot run its existing bodies/programs. Won't it be fun to see what a mess they make of healthcare!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:41 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It worries me that the Secret Service is so lax and it has been lax and remiss since ...1963 when JFK was shot. I am really worried now because I read a report that this President has received 400% more threats on his life than any other in our history.
    There is something wrong with so many people in the world today. How can we consider them sane when they want to threaten the President. They need to be locked up ...forever. But the secret service, all the security departments, are not doing their job so the nuts are out there,walking around free. Scary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• This is just further example of a government that cannot run its existing bodies/programs. Won't it be fun to see what a mess they make of healthcare!

This.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

Yes, it does
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I think that they should be doing some serious internal checking. However, it was demonstrated that the couple had to go through multiple metal detectors, personal searches, etc to ensure that they didn't have weapons. So, the process of personal security is fine, so I am not worried on that point. I am more concerned about the social ramifications it would have on any President to have gate crashers. That is why I believe the SS needs to review their processes.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2009