REJECTION

Whenever i introduce myself to other moms as a Nigerian, moms would just stop chatting with me. I feel rejected and that was why i asked the other day if CafeMom was for every woman and i got positive responses. Pls if CafeMom is for specific people, let me know so i can denounce membership before this rejection becomes too TRAUMATIC.

momella417

Asked by momella417 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Really? Who rejected you? I'm sorry. I'm not the kind of person that would reject anyone. Add me as a friend.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:39 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Cafemom is for women who are mothers, grandmothers or those trying to conceive! No matter what race. Those who rejected you are ignorant!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:42 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• was this one woman or many woman? well whomever did it doesnt need friends then if they need to be in a certain race catergory.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 10:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• That is so sad! Despite being known as a melting pot, sadly the US is quite divided racially and many Americans are terrified of people unlike themselves (mostly white, small town Christians).

Are you in any groups with moms who have interests similar to yours?

Answer by rkoloms at 10:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• By all means, any woman is welcome here! I have met people from all over the place on here. I always welcome the chance to meet someone new.
    lovebugs_mom

Answer by lovebugs_mom at 11:00 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• WOW, I don't know why they would do that. Being Nigerian is nothing for people to frown upon. Maybe you are assuming to much. Many people don't chit chat on here. In groups i'm in some people will welcome a newbie and some don't. They don't usually start a life long friendship with everyone though. Have you ever tried to "friend" any of these people?
    Please stay and try again. There are many groups here and you should be able to find one or two you are happy with.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Just a question here.  Why do you feel it necessary to say your a Nigerian?  I can understand if your in a group where all of you can relate but why say your a Nigerian.  I find it ironic you saying for specific people because you are identify yourself as that. 

Anonymous

• I'm sorry that has happened! No, this site is not for moms from particular countries or ethnic groups - you are totally welcome.

I wonder if it has anything to do with how often we hear of Nigerian Scams? That's the only related thing I can think of... Perhaps it has given Nigeria a bad name. That is not to say it's justified, it's just the only thing I can think of. When you're on the internet and you see something referencing Nigeria from an unknown person or address, you're conditioned to close it immediately. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvBJNgYlckE
    montessori_mama

Answer by montessori_mama at 5:06 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• Do you know that it was because of your nationality, or are you just assuming? Because they stopped talking to you doesn't mean it was because you're nigerian. It could've been they got caught up, busy, or just didn't like you for you. CM is for everyone.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I don't know why anyone would reject you. I know for my self it can be difficult to get on to Chat with you on IM. We are is such different times zones, and I have two kids to get going in the day. At this point my days are crazy. I don't always get a chance to get on the computer until later. So please don't think that I have rejected you. If there has been anyone else that has.....they just don't know what kind of person you are. You have given me some great advice. Stay strong. There are plenty of people on here that would love to have a friend like you!
    buddysangel

Answer by buddysangel at 12:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2009