What do HcG levels look like when having a ectopic pregnancy?

Do your beta levels drop, stay the same or continue to rise if your having an ectopic pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• They usually go up but don't double. hCG levels alone are not enough to confirm or deny an ectopic pregnancy because ectopics are not normal pregnancies and they can pretty much do anything with your hCG levels. USUALLY they rise slowly, but sometimes they fall and sometimes they actually double like in a normal pregnancy.

Ectopics are very rare unless you've had one before. What makes you think you might be having one?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Mine went up 540 then dropped 422 then went up again 500. That is when they did the second US and confirmed it was ectopic, mine was cause by Mirena IUD. I was given Methotrexate and got to keep my tube.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I think like 17% of ectopic pregnancies have normal hCG numbers. I had a suspected ectopic only because they couldn't find anything in the uterus but didn't see anything in the tube either. My numbers were going up very slowly. They didn't want to wait until they got to around 1000 when you could see something and chance tubal damage so they went ahead and gave the methotrexate shot. I had no symptoms of an ectopic.

I don't know how "rare" they are. They occur in approx 1 in every 200 pregnancies so it's good for women to be aware of the symptoms.

I hope this isn't what you are experiencing :( It's heartbreaking.
    all4mymarine

Answer by all4mymarine at 8:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I see that this question is old but I found it in a search and wanted to add my experience.
    Mine rose slowly and got up to over 7,000 before I had the Metho. shot. Mine couldn't be found on the ultrasounds though. There was definitely nothing in my uterus, or in or around my tubes or ovaries. They looked around at everything in the area and decided that it was somewhere on my bowel. And as of today I am finally at zero after 8 weeks of waiting for it to go down and weekly blood draws! What a nightmare! I'm happy that it's down to zero now so we can finally count down until we can start TTC again in a few months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:11 AM on Nov. 12, 2010