Making home-made food taste good?

I've been cooking more at home lately and even though I add like tons of spices the flavour needs a kick. I made minestrone soup today and it tasted good but it was missing something..could it be the vegetable or chicken broth? (bcuz I didn't add that like it said in the recipe)

Lulu_101

Asked by Lulu_101 at 11:43 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Yes omitting something from a recipe greatly alters the taste of things especially with soups there is somethings that are more forgiving such as Pork,meatloaf and spaghetti sauce.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Using broth or stock would have given the soup a richer flavor.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• salt? maybe add a bit of wine. or just chill it and reheat it to let the flavors develpe more. google umami (the fifth taste)
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 1:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It is always best, the first time you try a recipe, to follow the recipe exactly. After that you can adjust it based on your individual tastes. Sometimes a little boullion can help when it comes to soup.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Never skimp on the broths/stock. They are there to add richness/fat, and without it, there's nothing to pull the other flavors together. Also make sure you following the directions as far as the order of adding ingredients. Some dissipate if they're in too long, others need more time to integrate.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Use stock in place of broth. Its SO much more flavorful, and doesn't cost much more at all. Plus its lower in sodium which is much healthier.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I add chicken broth to everything!! cooking rice, mashed potatoes, everything!! It's the #1 flavor to set the background for everything else. I buy cases of the stuff! lol ...And stock is very expensive if you ask me.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2009