Pregnant and painful ribs?

I'm in the last trimester and sometimes I think the baby is crushing my ribs or something...it's soo painful..it lasts for like two hours.. is this normal and why is baby doing that?? How can I get relief..like I would be sitting at the desk doing schoolwork and it's sooo painful..

Lulu_101

Asked by Lulu_101 at 11:46 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Oh ...I've been there. The only thing that made me feel better was grabing onto my DH's chin up bar and stretching...you know put some of your weight into your hands to stretch your torso. In the last month of pregnancy I felt like I would cough up a foot.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I think I know what you're talking about. If I'm lying or sitting when this happens I have to stretch out (or up) as much as possible to relieve the pressure in my ribs. Standing up makes it feel tons better. Just last night I was eating dinner and I'm very slumpy when I sit and everytime I tried to breath in I had sharp pains under my ribs! I got up to get a drink and no more pains. I'm also in the last stretch, 34 weeks to be exact. I'm pretty sure it's just the baby running out of room :( good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I had my daughter stuck under my ribs, I had to sit in the jeep for half hour ( was shopping) And wait for her to move, It is uncomfortable.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 11:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My first baby actually kicked a rib out of place! I was driving to work, felt/heard a loud pop and pain. I had to deal with that until after she was born and then a chiropractor fixed me! It hurt!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It's your baby trying to stretch out. Sadly they don't have much room in there at this time. About the only time I'm comfortable is when I'm laying down because my DS is always stretching, butting my cervix or trying to get under my ribs.
    lacatrina

Answer by lacatrina at 12:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My son was breech with his head in my ribs for the entire last month and then the night before he was born he moved! Oh the relief. It is quite normal especially if you have a shot torso (which I do) and I would do as another poster suggested kind of stretch out and hang to open things up there a little. Sadly it doesn't go away until the baby is born. Oddly my second wasn't as bad, but she was head down almost the entire time so that might be why it didn't hurt as bad for me.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My son is breech and Im right at the end of pregnancy..he has been breech since month 7 and his head has been in my ribs the whole time..its so bad that he has bruised my ribs!! The only way I am comfortable is laying down (and that doesnt always help). Unfortunatley there is not alot you can do..its part of being a mom!!
    jellybelly25

Answer by jellybelly25 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2009