How Can I Fix A Zipper Without Sewing?

I hope someone can help me. I went out schlepping at The Last Chance Goodwill this afternoon and ended up buying four bags of kids' coats in good condition--except for one that I discovered when I went to wash it. The zipper splits and gets stuck in one particular place when zipping up; now it is split, and I can't move it either way. I am not a sewer and haven't a clue what to do. Would spraying the metal teeth with WD 40 help at all? The coat has snaps over the zipper, so if I can get the zipper down, it can still be worn by a child this winter. Thanks for any ideas you can give me!

Liz (DogMa)

Dogma

Asked by Dogma at 11:48 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• glue
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If it is a nylon sipper, you might still be able to work in, just make sure that the fabric doesn't get caught in the teeth when you work with it. Be patient because it will take time. If it's a metal one, I wish you luck because I have never been able to fix those. An idea though, if you want, just open the seam and take the zipper completely out then whip stitch the opening closed. Then you could still use it with the snaps. Good luck.
    Maryloumonteleo

Answer by Maryloumonteleo at 11:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If it is a columbia coat you can send it into the company and they will fix it for you. I would take it to a fabric store and ask them who does their repair work. lt is usually pretty reasonably priced. I don't do zippers either.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2009