If you've had a baby naturally, then this interview is for YOU! lol

I am sooo nervous about having a baby.. down there! I am only 20 weeks but I can't get my mind off the pain. SO.. my questions are: 1) Did your epidural work right? 2) Did you have any other pain medicine? if so, what? 3) Do all the drugs work right through the pushing and craziness?? 4) Any other advide you guys have would be GREAT!

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Natural birth is a vaginal birth without any pain relief.

You are talking about a natural medicated birth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• ya.i did no meds at a birth center not a hospital so i had no choice but to go without meds...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I had an epidural....it was great. I got to control the medication - so I had it that I could feel everything but the pain. was in much more control mentally, and physically.

good luck!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• 1) Did your epidural work right? I didnt have one for my vaginal birth, only for my c-section with my other child.

2) Did you have any other pain medicine? They gave me something through the IV that made me sleep for like half an hour. my labor was 42hrs.

3) Do all the drugs work right through the pushing and craziness?? when you push, they dont give you drugs.

Dont worry, it will hurt like crazy and no amount of breathing exercise will help with pain, when you begin to push, you'll just concentrate on getting that baby out and it wont be so bad, the end result, your amazing baby and that pain is a distant memory. congratulations and the pain is sooo worth it.

proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My epidural worked right. There was no complications from it. While I was in labor I did not take any other pain medication there is no need. The epidural numbs you from your waist down. After I had my epidural I was in labor for 5 hours and I could feel my tummy harden with the contractions but I didnt feel any pain.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• 1.) First born yes. It was GREAT! Second born the guy was not very experienced and I felt more than the first and wound up with a c-section and felt A LOT of pain during that.

2.) The first time I had a little bit of demerol in my IV before I got my epidural. I hated it, made me feel dizzy and nervous and did not take my mind off the pain.

3.) In my experience with my first (vaginal), no. There was an intense "burning" feeling as her head came through the pelvis that the epidural can't soothe because it's "bone pain". I didn't feel her coming out or anything (other than what felt like I was pooping) but they told me no drugs can relieve that awful burning pain. However, it only lasts as long as it takes the baby to move through the pelvis, which isn't long.

4.) Relax as much as possible. You CAN do this, your body was made for it, everything will be fine! Any pain you experience you will forget instantly :)
    Anonymous

• You should have worded this question "vaginally" and not "naturally" becuase to alot of woman on here, getting an epidural means that you did not have natural labor. If you can change your heading then I would do that!

1) Yep, my epi's worked great both times. The first time it wore off just enough during the pushing process that I felt him crown and I could walk about 2 hours after he was born. The second time I had a SAP and I gave myself too much at the end and was numb for 8 hours after she was born
    2) I had fentnal (sp?) with my son and nothing with my DD becuase I didnt like the "cloudy" feeling I had with him
    3) I pushed my son out in 14 minutes (I could feel the "ring of fire") and I pushed my daughter out in 9 minutes and couldnt feel any of it
    4) the epi doesnt hurt AT ALL and even with a fear of needles, its NOTHING compared to the pain of contractions
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 12:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Technically, a "natural" birth is one without medications or medical interventions.
    MOST of the time, epidurals work exactly the way they're supposed to. However, as with all medications and interventions, there is a risk of side effects. Do your research, including asking questions here and of your Dr, and then make decisions that will be right for you. You may want to read "A Thinking Woman's Guide to Childbirth" and any of the books written by Ina May.
    I've had two natural, non medicated, intervention free births. I can tell you from the experience that the FEAR of pain makes the process 100% more painful. Deal with the fear through education and you'll be better off, no matter what decisions you make for you labor. :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• whatever anon 56 stop bein a bitch....anyways OP
    i was in labor for 14 hrs 6 of it without any pain releif it hurt yes i tried staydhol cause i wasnted to do it without the epi but i couldnt handle it then i got an epi and it was peachy it worked great i slept after that the epi starts to wear off as your pushing but you can only feel the contractions not the baby coming out part ( you still can feel but it doesnt hurt ) as for advise sleep as long as you can before the pushing starts not only will that wear you out but the hospital not letting you sleep again till you leave and the waking every 2 hrs to feed will really take a tole on you...GL!
    Anonymous

• Epidurals can be very dangerous. The after-effects can last more than a year for both you and your baby. Please do your research and work hard to get your body in shape!!

Answer by rkoloms at 12:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2009