Breastfed 3 1/2 months old Dark Green Stool..???

My Son Has had Dark Greenish poop since Sunday morning. I started Zoloft on Thursday.. Do you think that is what is causing it? He is also Getting his first tooth.....

emturner

Asked by emturner at 12:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Green poop is the result of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance in a child that is exclusively breastfed. Basically the baby is getting more of the "skim" milk than of the "fatty" milk. This can cause them to nurse more because the skim milk isn't as high in fat and therefore not as filling. Also, foremilk is really high in sugar and too much can cause a tummy ache, again causing them to nurse more which perpetuates the problem because again the baby usually just snacks frequently without nursing long enough to get the fat milk. If you have a snacker, meaning she likes lots of short, frequent meals, feed her off of the same breast twice if she is asking to nurse within a two hour window. Or, you could pump a bit before her feedings so that she can get down to the rich milk quicker. Her poop should go back to yellow in a couple of days or much sooner like at the next dirty diaper. Every now and again if she has a short feeding..con'd
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 1:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I'm not sure, but I don't think the Zoloft is the cause. BF babies poop changes, and even more if yours or their diet changes. I don't think it's a problem either.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My daughter has just done the same thing but not consistantly. For the last three days she has had at least one poop that is dark green every day. She is the same age as your son so maybe it is a phase at this age? She is also breast fed. She has a cold right now as well and I thought maybe that had something to do with it.
    Anonymous

• Iron in formula can cause it, green mucousy stools is a sensitivity to dairy (in breast fed babies dairy in mom's diet), inbalace of foemilk/hindmilk for breastfed babies (easy to fix -- don't switch baby to the other breast in the middle of a feed so te can get the fattier milk),
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• you will see the green poop reappear. I went through this with my son. Looking up this info on www.kellymom.com is really helpful, too. I think all you have to do is search "green poop." Hope this helps!
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 1:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I agree, it's probably a foremilk imbalance... try doing one sided feedings and see if it gets better.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2009