For those that have dealt with unemployment,

what did you do immediately when you found out you or spouse was going to be unemployed? Like file for unemployment start cutting certain extras what kinds of things did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• Update your Linkedin Profile
    Polish your resume
    Contact your professional references
    Network, network, network!!!
    Set search agents on one of the job aggregators (Indeed.com, Simply Hired, etc.)
    Check Craigslist regularly
    Join the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group (lots of great tips!)

Send me a message offlist if you have any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I went to the unemployment offiice to file the day after I lost my job. We didn't have to cut anything immediately because I got vacation and severance pay; we had time to "wean" ourselves, so to speak. But we did start cutting bills that weren't necessary, stopped going out to eat, that kind of thing, until we knew what we could handle on the income we were getting.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Advice given to me 1. file for unemployment get that started Have your references permission, redo your resume, Cut back as much as possible, buy real food no fast food, got rid of land line kept low cost cell . During the down moments study as much as possible to stand out from other job seekers. Let people know you are available.
    Anonymous

• Got rid of cable, got on a level pay plan on electricity, my husband sold some stuff on ebay, tried filing umemplyment (got denied), started looking for a new job immediatly, eventually we cashed in the little bit of 401 K we had (it was only $2000) to pay our rent. Got on foodstamps. Was able to find a job in 2 mo. though, so it wasnt so bad.
    Anonymous

• Skills should be up to date. Not I have been doing this for 10 years. To prove that if you are a professional  Test yourself here  www.brainbench.com  worth the cost

Anonymous

• Contact the Food Stamps office.
    Apply for unemployment.
    Begin looking for new jobs.
    Cut expenses.
    Anonymous