Why does he have to whine so much- the most annoying, screeching whine ever!

Lately my 21 month old has been whining- not cuz hes hungry, soiled, sick/hurt, bored, tired or ignored- but just whining ddaaaaa daaaaa, or every now and then mamaaaaaa. Its been getting worse over the last month or so, when I sneak out of the room, and he's out with some other family or whatever, he is just fine, but if/when he sees me/daddy it starts. We give him plenty of love and attention, but he'll just WHINE. My mom even asked why does he do that after you get home from work?
It drives me absolutely insane- it drains me to hear ddaaaaaa ddaaaaa or ammaaaaaa all day long. He never used to be this bad, he had seperation anxiety for a lil bit, not this bad, and he got over it (i thought-maybe not) but its too much now
Any ideas on why he's doing this, what we can do to stop/minimize it?
I even tell him striaght out "Hey! You do not have to whine like that-talk nice, dont scream" Tried to ignore it - no help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Whatever you decide to do to get him to stop you have to be consistent and over time it will start to decrease and eventually stop. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Tell him that he's a big boy and big boys use their big boy voices. Let him know that you can't hear him when he whines and if he wants to tell or ask you something, he's going to have to use his big boy voice to do it. Then no matter what ignore him when he whines, and keep telling him to use his big kid voice when he forgets.
    GL
    Anonymous

• What worked when mine was that age was saying "mama's ears don't work right when you whine" then COMPLETELY ignoring it until he spoke to me normally. I know you said you tried ignoring it.... how long did you try? It will take longer than a day for sure. Kids don't always listen to "you need to say it right" they have to have something they can understand as a plausable reason for stopping the behavior. My son understood what it meant for something not to work and when I told him that and he saw it happen (the ignoring the whining behavior) he decided to quit whining for what he wanted. It wasn't a magic cure. He still whined from time to time but it cut down drastically. Just be sure to be consistent with whatever you do. Good Luck.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 1:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Obvously he gets something out of it probably a reaction from you and dad, since he does it with you two. Next time he starts I would do what Krysden says.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 1:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I've tried telling him that he needs to talk like a big boy, but he doesnt really talk with actual words yet, jsut signs and special grunt like sounds. and he's not even whining for anything thats the thing- just whining.
    and it takes him a long time to get a notable reaction from either one, we try to be very patient with him, but its me that he gets the biggest reaction from, I mostly just say, lets go play with daddy when I've ahd enough and dont know what else to do, and just sigh a lot, but OMG if you heard this you would sigh a lot too
    Anonymous