Medical Records

So, Im planning on switching doctors, and Im kinda getting antsy about it. How do i go about asking for acopy of my records from my doc now!? Im trying to avoid letting them know im thinking about switching? Is there a reason i could give to get my records now?

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't think it's any big deal. I switched OBs in the middle of my pregnancy, and I called the old clinic and asked for "Medical records" and was transferred straight over. I then, with my new dr's fax # in hand, I asked that they forward a copy of my records to the fax number. No questions asked, and I didn't have to pay for anything.

You have a right for a copy of your records, and your drs office won't know if they're for insurance reasons, or if you just want a copy for yourself. They won't know, and it is illegal for them to ask due to Health Information Privacy and Portability Act laws. So, no worries, the office won't hold a grudge just because you want to know what's been put on paper.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I switched doctors for my latest pregnancy and they didn't ask for my medical records. The only thing they asked for was a copy of my most recent PAP.
    Anonymous

• They'd probably make you pay for the copies. And that can be expensive. I had to get copies of a hospital record once & it cost me 75 bucks! It would be easier & you wouldnt have to let them know anything it you just went ahead & switched & had the new office request it. I mean sure they'd find out you switched but you wont have to tell them or see them again. Its not like they're going to call you up & ask you why. They wont do that.
    Anonymous

• Just tell them you want a copy for your records, IF they even ask.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2009