Why does my dog think his saliva is a cure-all?

My dog is constantly licking us and our kids. My one year old hates it! He thinks he's healing him cuz he has a runny nose. LoL.

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 1:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• First, it’s true that dog saliva has antibiotic properties. Specifically, dog saliva contains lysozyme, an enzyme that lyses and destroys harmful bacteria. This means the enzyme attaches to the bacterial cell wall - particularly gram-positive bacteria - and weakens it, leading to rupture. The second reason is direct stimulation of the tissues and small blood vessels surrounding the wound site. This helps to increase blood flow and promote the growth of new capillaries, while the blood brings white cells, platelets, growth factors and other of the body’s natural healing agents to the wound site

tried posting link but not enough room
    Anonymous

• I actually heard that if a dog licks a cut or something its supposed to help make it heal faster.....IDK if its true we dont have dogs. Maybe its a maternal thing.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Im sorry paternal lol I missed the HE part.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Because it is.
    Anonymous

• I dunno why. My dogs do this too. I have always thought that it was maybe something to do with the fact that they learn from the world around them by their sense of taste and smell. They don't seem to think the same things are gross as we do....just think of how they greet each other!
    Anonymous

• You have a smart dog...

Answer by rkoloms at 1:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My dogs do it too and it does work. One of our dogs got his hind leg caught in some barb wire after a hurricane blew it into our wooded yard. It cut him up pretty good. As he was lying down, our other dog came over and started licking it, nursing him back to health.

After my husband lost his finger he was having trouble with it healing all the way. He was sitting outside when our dog came up and gently started licking my husbands finger. Soon after that it began to heal up.

Oddly enough, if I am working out in the yard all hot and sweaty my dogs will come up and start licking my hands. They will sit there and lick all the salt and sweatiness from my hands.

I don't know how they sense stuff but they surely know when someone is hurt or feeling down.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 1:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Anonymous

• Actually there are some antiseptic properties to a dogs saliva. But if you don't want the dog licking you then it becomes a training issue and you teach him not to lick or at least not to lick on the face.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• haha. Good info ladies thanks. He also likes to lick the lotion off of my legs. I think he likes the way it tastes though.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2009