Naps??? haha what are those?

I see alot about moms getting their babies on routines, so my question is when you say nap time is between 6-8 or whatever, how do you get your baby to go to sleep at that specific time especially if your baby doesnt fall asleep everytime i feed her? she 2 and a half months fyi

xxSummaxx13

Asked by xxSummaxx13 at 1:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You shouldn't be waiting for the baby to fall asleep before laying her down. Believe me - that will cause you hours of heartache later on. I learned this the hard way. She needs to learn to soothe herself and the only way you can do that is just lay her down. If she falls asleep great, if she lays there awake that is fine too. Eventually she will understand what that time means but you just have to do it. Letting her always fall asleep in your arms will cause her to ONLY be able to fall asleep in your arms.
    Anonymous

• At 2.5 months she's still a bit young to have a predictable routine. She should be sleeping when she wants to sleep. Once you start seeing a more predictable pattern you can start encouraging it. Like, I know my baby will get tired 2-3 hours after waking. Then again 3-4 hours after he wakes from that nap... and he might even squeeze in a third nap depending on how long the first two were.

I wouldn't set specific "nap times" until you're down to only 1 or 2 naps... they grow so much in the first year that their sleeping needs will vary day to day and week to week. Better to follow their cues. Knowing the approx time they will get sleepy and what signs to look for can be helpful... but I wouldn't expect or force a young baby into set naptimes.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My daughter was four months when she started on a routine, I nurse her and lay her down in her crib and put her music on. she is now 7 month and goes to sleep almost right away everytime
    twogirlsandmore

Answer by twogirlsandmore at 4:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• 2 months is really too early to try to start a routine. For right now, I would just go with the flow and follow her cues. Routines usually don't start to work until about 4-6 months when solids are introduced and meal times start to spread out.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 5:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• At around 3 months you can start more of a routine for naps, although that may be a bit early for naps still. Do something different at naptime than you do for night time. For example., you may read a short book or sing a certain song to cue it's naptime. At bedtime, maybe do a bath followed by a last feeding, etc. Watch her cues...put her down when she is tired but not asleep. One thing I didn't realize early on was that I was waiting waaaay too long to put my dd to bed.....she was overtired and it made a mess of things. So my advice is to not follow the clock strictly and watch for baby's cues:)
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 9:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2009