Should mentally retarded people be allowed to have children?

If so, should they be required to have a live-in helper?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• Based on what I see on CafeMom, plenty of them do...
    Anonymous

• How did a mentally retarded person get pregnant? I think more needs to be done to protect that group of people from sexual predators.
    Anonymous

• How do you define mentally retarded? It can be a broad range.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Yes, but you shouldn't. Ignorance and prejudice is worse than any developmental delay.

First of all the term mentally retarded isn't used much any more. Second those with developmental delays cover a wide range of abilities, from those who are very able to live independently to those who do not progress much past infancy. So making a blanket statement like yours only serves to show your ignorance.  Third there are many, many programs out there to support people with developmental delays, in independent living, parenting, job skills, etc.  Why should we who are supposedly "normal" take away the rights of a group of people because we presumethey are unable to do a good job?  There are a great many children born to "normal" people who are abused and neglected and not even wanted.  Don't assume mental ability makes good parents.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• First of all, maybe you're the one with some kid of problem, because I never said that they shouldn't be allowed to have children. Regardless of political correctness, mental retardation isn't an insult. It's literally a retardation(look up the actual meaning in the dictionary) of the brain in some area. People who get so offended, like you, are the one who is making it a derogatory term. Mental INability can be a dangerous situation for a baby/child. Some people are not mentally capable of caring for an infant, period. It has nothing to do with opinion. You sure are quick to claim I'm ignorant when you seem to understand very little yourself. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?
    Anonymous

• Very well put teamquinn. I wanted to say something like that but I'm not as good at it. Questions like this upset me terribly. My brother and ex-SIL (and actually current SIL) are horrible parents; granted they are getting better. And they have no disabilities. However, I have autism and have 2 little boys and my family says they are the best boys ever and it is because of how I parent them. So learning disabilities have nothing to do with parenting abilities really.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

LMAO! no kidding!
    Anonymous

Select as Best Answer Report this answer

Op here. I said nothing about horrible parents with no disabilities, etc. I'm sorry the question was so hard for you to understand, and I'm sorry that you're incapable of considering that maybe I'm not against mentally retarded people having children. This is a very real issue. Why do people on Cafemom always have to assume the worst, and become so quickly defensive. It's pathetic, and a bad trait.
    Anonymous

• Those with mental challenges would make better parents than some of the moms on this site.
    Anonymous

• wow OP you sure are getting defensive when people are giving you what you asked for, their opinions. Trolling is also a bad trait. If you really conncerned about this matter, maybe you should back upi your post with some well thought out questions and view points instead of throwing the question out there and expecting people to take you serious.
    Anonymous