I have gestational diabetes. At what point should I call my doctor?

I had my gestational diabetes class last Wednesday. I've changed my diet and have been checking my blood sugar 4 times per day. So far I've checked it 20 times. Out of those times, it has been in the normal range 9 times and been high 11 times. The highest it has been is 155, which was today. Should I call my doctor or is this somewhat normal? I know that she told me that it should be normal 80% of the time but I'm not sure if this is considered really really high or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Pregnancy

• No that is not anywhere close to be considered really high.A really high is considered 200 and higher. Your after a meal range should range from 80-140.I would recommend drinking lots of water and be active and your 155 should drop.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 1:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Call your doctor with any/all questions. Go from there. Your life and your baby's life should not be compromised. Take care.
    Anonymous

• Didn't your doctor refer you to a diabetes educator? She/he is the person you should be calling to report your blood sugars.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• They didn't tell me to "report" my blood sugars to anyone I just have to write them down and take my little notebook with me when I go back on the 17th. I just wanted to get other people's opinions about this because no one I know has had this before. And yes I would be calling the perinatologist if it was a problem, that's who I meant when I said doctor.
    Anonymous

• If you're concerned and wondering about something medical, call a medical professional. Each case is unique. You should be relying on your medical team for your questions, not a message board.
    Anonymous

• Wow I guess there really isn't a reason for this section of cafemom then if I can't come here to get opinions...what kind of questions do you expect?
    Anonymous