Christmas Tree VS. Holiday Tree

Why is it that so many ppl get offended when ppl use term like happy holidays. When they use generic holiday terms to cover all religious holidays instead of just recognizing Christmas? Don't other holidays deserve recognition too? Why is it so offensive to have a holiday tree in a public place, instead of a Christmas tree? Or to say seasons greetings or Happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas?

EarthMama05

Asked by EarthMama05 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Holidays

• There was an interesting article in my local paper about this the other day. The argument was that it is religious conservatives who are most likely to get irate over the generic holiday greetings from retail staff, yet the irony is that it is, at heart, a demand for the commercialization of Christmas.  If stores don't wish you a Merry Christmas (in those exact words, by gum!) then THEY (the nebulous, unnamed "they" whom one can assume are liberal, godless heathens, of course) are trying to take Christmas away.  But caring so much what a store clerk says to you when you come in the store has absolutely nothing to do with what the spirit of the holiday is supposed to be for religious people, whether conservative or otherwise.

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 1:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• i celebrate christmas but am not offended when ppl say happy holidays instead of merry christmas, but i would be offended if someone said "happy soilstace" so i don't push my merry christmas on ppl b/c they may be offended as well
    Anonymous

• Whats the difference between you saying Merry Christmas to a non believer and them saying Happy Solstice to you? You both are just wishing each other well over the holiday season in your own way. It's not pushing anything on anyone.

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Who gives a crap?!!!!!!!!
    Seriously, get a life!
    Anonymous

• I give a crap because it's an issue I have run into and I wanted to get feed back on it. Don't like it? too bad! You don't need to stay on my post then!

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• People are overly concerned about being PC. They want everyone to feel accepted and appriciated that they bend over backwards to keep people happy. People have every right to tell anyone "Merry Christmas" as they do "Happy Holidays". It doesn't matter if you celebrate Christmas or you don't, because someone says it to you doesn't mean you have to celebrate. The general public wants to please everyone around them, they want to keep everything in a box. When you have everything grouped together you don't have to specify and you don't have to indiviualize. It's more those who don't have a religion that are offended by someone saying "Christmas Tree" and "Merry Christmas". As I said though, because someone says it to you, doesn't mean you have to celebrate it as such. I'm not going to change my greeting to please anyone, and nobody else should be asked to either.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I have actually encountered more ppl that are religious being upset over things like "Holiday tree" of removing holiday specific things in public. I just don't see why it's a big deal a few of my friends are upset that our town has a holiday tree. Then there is the thing with Obama's holidays tree. Why so much uproar over being considerate to other holidays?

EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• As long as people are not trying to take away Christmas I don't care what you call it or what holiday other people celebrate. Their holidays deserve as much respect and acknowledgement as Christmas does. I don't mind the term "happy holidays" at all. I do feel its "weird" to call a Christmas tree a holiday tree, but I really guess Christmas doesn't "own" exclusive rights to a tree as celebration lol so its understandable.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I am not a very religious person. I celebrate Christmas. I do not say Merry Christmas to someone unless I am sure they celebrate Christmas. Other wise, I say Happy Holidays. I am not offended of someone wishes me a Happy Hannukah or Kwanzaa. I say thank you and move on.

It is a Christmas tree, though.
    Anonymous