is christmas just for christians?

ok i was at working talking about what i seen on the news the other day- about how they r taking christmas out of schools. a guys i work with said it was because christmas is only a christain holiday. and i said it wasnt all kinds of religaions celebrate christmas( for santa clause) not for the birth of jesus and i was trying to tell the guy that and he just kept saying how i was stupid. so was i right or was he right?

shannonsmom555

Asked by shannonsmom555 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are right and he is stupid!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I am Pagan. we celebrate Yule but we also celebrate a secular Christmas.
    However, I DO think it is right to take songs like Silent Night and such out of the school choir UNLESS they have separate religious choirs for the school.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I guess you are right; but those other people are stupid too. Are they going to start selling all Christmas stuff in Christian stores too?
    Anonymous

• IMO, you were right. Yes there is a lot of christian undertone to this holiday, but it is a celebration of togetherness and giving (not just material things) in my opinion! Not just the birth of jesus (supposedly born in spring btw)! I was raised a christian, but am no longer one. I still celebrate christmas because it has always been a family oriented holiday for me
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Christ wasn't even born on Christmas day so how it ended up a religious holiday I don't even know. It was always a holiday before the birth of christ, just a little different. I think Pagans actually had Christmas, called Yule. And there are so many other religions to that celebrate Christmas in different ways.
    Anonymous

• In a sense, you were both right. CHRISTmas is a CHRISTian holiday, but not only Christians celebrate it. I don't think it should be taken out of schools. Our country is Chrisian-founded, and acting as though it's freakin' taboo in school isn't really allowing freedom of religion. No one is forcing anyone to celebrate it.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• We are not Christian. We don't celebrate Christmas / the birth of Jesus.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• CHRISTmas! It's right there in the name. It is a Christian holiday, but that doesn't mean it's only for Christians. It can be celebrated or not anyway you see fit.

The solstices are supposed to be Pagan holidays. I didn't celebrate "their" holiday, but I did have a big BBQ on Summer solstice because it is the longest day of the year.

Anonymous

• In Truth, everything considered, and especially what the Bible really teaches; Christmas is just for pagans, those unacceptable to God.
    Anonymous

• Anonymous