Big boy bed

I was planning on putting my son into his big boy bed for naps only just to get used to it. The more I think about it wouldnt it be harder for him when i am putting him to bed in a big boy bed during the day then a crib at night then big boy bed for nap then back to the crib? Should I just have him in the big boy bed for sleep at all times now? He took a nap in there today and only cried for about 10 minutes and feel asleep. He was crying again as soon as he woke up. Any suggestions would help...thanks moms!

Softwater

Asked by Softwater at 2:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you are putting him in a big bed, I would take down the crib...it gets confusing. As for him crying when he wakes up, it's a natural adjustment time. We ended up putting a cd player with soft music when we put her down for naps so she would wake up to it as well.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• i was wondering the same thing! I was thinking the "naps at first" method would work, but I can see it being confusing. I am also a bit skeptical of disassembling the crib. What if it doesnt work out? What if he just isnt ready after-all and now we have to assemble the crib all over again? The best thing is to make sure he is DEFINATELY ready for the transition. I'm gonna wait till my son tries climbing out of the crib. He does sometimes try to kick his leg up if he wants out, but he is still a bit short to succesfully climb out. I also dont want him to succesfully climb out and get hurt.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• The crib is staying up because I have a 11 week old that will begin using it as soon as he is done. I love the idea of music. I will have to start doing that!
    Softwater

Answer by Softwater at 2:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Take down the crib!! Seriously. Out of sight, out of mind. Then after a few weeks when he's completely used to it and the crib is totally out of his mind put it back up for the baby.

With it up now, you're making it MUCH harder for him to make the switch (naps in bed and nights in the crib are a bad idea, too) and as soon as he's in the bed you start putting a baby in HIS old bed....jealousy and a feeling of being replaced.

Take down the crib and put it out if his sight until he's solidly in his regular bed.

Experience talking here.
    Anonymous

• oddly my daughter decided on her own when she was ready for the big bed, the kids were sharing a room and I had a bunk bed in there for my son the crib for my daughter, I don't remember her age exactly but she just climbed into the bottom bunk one time and wouldn't sleep in the crib
    Anonymous

• my son is 21 months old, he was taken from the crib when he was 16 months old. we put him into a different kind of bed sorta like a crib but it sat on the floor with the bars around his mattress on the floor. he has never once tried to climb out of it but we are switching him to a toddler bed this month. we are expecting two more boys in march and will need all the extra beds so i figure if i do it now it will not seem so rushed. I would agree take the crib away and after a week or 2 he will not even remember he had one. good luck
    krazylilthang6

Answer by krazylilthang6 at 3:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2009