What your New Year's traditions with your kids? (piog)

Last year I started a new tradition with my 2 girls (10&13) for New Years because now they are older and can make it to midnight before falling asleep. I bought 3, 2009 champagne glasses and sparkling cider grape juice and we toasted the New Year. I made them finger foods such as pizza snacks and chips and dip and we watched movie and vegged out on the couch waiting for the new year to come.

What are some of your New Year traditions that you mommas do with your kids? It's kind of hard to do things with the little ones because of bed time but I use to wake mine up to give them a kiss at midnight.

Also I am trying to think of some more snacks I can add to our list for this year. Any ideas?

Can't wait for 2010 it's going to be a great year!

Luvof2angels

Asked by Luvof2angels at 2:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Holidays

• We continued my mother's New Year's Eve tradition of a party with finger foods and ice cream punch. You put a big bottle of ginger ale in the punch bowl, add lots of chocolate ice cream and milk and mix. For food we had cheese cubes, raw veggies with dips, chips, sloppy joe, pigs in the blanket, and whatever other fun food we happened across.

Answer by Bmat at 2:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Bmat, the ice cream punch sounds really cool!
    Luvof2angels

Answer by Luvof2angels at 2:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My daughter isn't old enough yet, but what my mom used to do for my brothers and i, before we were legal enough togo to the bars, we played monopoly with friends til new years.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Mine spend the night with my Mom, something they don't do often. We bring party hats & noice makers , we all have dinner. Then DH & I go to a friends party. We pick them up around noon, then take down the Christmas tree.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 2:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• We stay home and watch movies or something similar. Then around 11:30 pm, we watch Dick Clark. At 11:55 pm we get our Martinelli's sparkling cider ready in champagne glasses. When the New Year rings in (the ball drops in Times Square on TV), we yell out "Happy New Year" and drink our cider. Next, we go outside pop poppers, blow horns, etc, and yell"Happy New Year" really loud for about a minute or two. Then we got back inside, have hot chocolate and cookies, then watch TV till around 1:00 am, then go to bed. In the morning, I fix breakfast and we watch the Rose Parade together.
    Anonymous

• You do what my mom used to do only we had cheese, summer sausage and crackers for our finger foods and we had sparkling grape juice. Then we would watch Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve. Once my daughter is old enough (3.5 months now) I plan on continuing in that tradition. In fact, my husband and I were just talking about what we were going to do this year and we talked about getting some Hickory Farms stuff and crackers and some wine. Yeah, we're exciting!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:06 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• When I was little we did not have much money. We did not have money for fireworks or noise makers. My mom use to make us go outside on New Years at midnight with pots and pans and bang on them with metal sponns as loud as we could!!! lol As we got older we use to beg her not to make us do that!! lol Such fun memories!
    Luvof2angels

Answer by Luvof2angels at 9:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2009