Is this true?

I find this really disturbing if it is true...what kind of church would turn it's members away?
A woman on circle of moms (facebook thing) who is LDS made a post one day about how she had a newborn and they were kind of hurting financially and that she couldn't go to church which is something she felt she really needed- due to the fact that they hadn't done their tithing.

I am wondering if this is how it works? pay...or you can't come? or is there something about it I do not understand/ something she didnt mention when she posted about it...

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 2:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am LDS, and this is not true. She may feel guilty for not doing so, but the Church DOES NOT turn members or non members away just because they don't pay tithing.
    This is something between them and Heavenly Father.
    The only thing I can think of, is that she feels guilty because she hasn't.
    I can also say, I have not paid my tithing from time to time because of personal reasons, and I was not turned away...
    On a personal level, I did feel that I needed to pay it, but it did not keep me from going to church.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 3:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• wow, that kinda sad, you shouldnt have to feel guilty about not tithing, what if you're dirt poor and have nothing to give because you just spent your last dollar on a loaf of bread for your kids.
    Anonymous

• ultimately it is between the individual and the Lord so, it was her choice, not anyone elses, for her not to go to church. Like I said, nobody says she couldn't go to church....that's not something we do, under any circumstance.
    and anon 2:15, the church helps out those in need for food and stuff, so that wouldn't be the circumstance either lol
    We are a very misunderstood church, and if people would take the time to learn about it and the values and standards and good we do, then people would see it's not a bad church like some may say.

if anyone would like to learn more, your more than welcome to pm me. of course, just informational, not for bashing.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 3:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• thanks for clearing it up-she never mentioned feeling bad and not going so I guess that may be it.
    the way she wrote it out really did make it sound that way.
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• your welcome. :) thanks for listening!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 3:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• religious/legalistic churches do stuff like that. Which is really sad.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 4:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• A tithe is not a payment. It is something that you do because you want to give back to the Lord. I think this is a misconception of many people. I think many people feel bad about not being able to tithe and simply don't show up. They don't realize that God doesn't need their money. What he wants instead is your love.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It may or may not be true depending on the actual church's rules. though it may be her guilt for not. But she need not feel guilty the giving is for poor people. At least that is my understanding of it
    Anonymous

• Thats not true, you can go even if you dont pay tithing.

She probably is just feeling like she cant cuz she feels badly about not paying.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

AMEN
    Anonymous