Why say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

Because not everyone celebrates Christmas. I'm so sick of people whining and bitching about not being allowed to say "Merry CHristmas" anymore. I mean, you can still say it. No one is going to arrest you for saying it, but you gotta realize the reason you SHOULDN'T say it anymore is because it's not the only religious holiday people celebrate. Though I really don't think anyone who doesn't celebrate Christmas would be offended but, the goverment has turned this country into a bunch of pussies and therefore we must try to offend as little people as possible. *rolls eyes*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm already offended, so the country is doing a terrible job!
    Anonymous

• I'm offended when i hear someone refer to jesus as being the reason for the season, or telling me merry christmas- assuming that i must be of the same religious affiliation. it is not a christian holiday, although they claim it as one... why i also believe that it should be banned in school. if you want to call it a christian holiday, it has no place in a public school.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• when I hear merry xmas, I dont jump down their throats saying HOW DARE YOU I'M NOT A CHRISTIAN. they were just being nice and are in the holiday spirit!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I think the problem is for the Christians that throw hissy fits about it, it never occurs to them that the person saying Happy Holidays is not a Christian. In their shallow little world it has to be because of being PC. It can't possibly be because they are Jewish or atheist or Buddhist.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sick of people whining and bitching about not being allowed to say "Merry CHristmas" anymore.
    ______________
    I am sick of the Atheists whining and bitching about Christians bitching. LOL YOU are doing the EXACT same thing!

"but you gotta realize the reason you SHOULDN'T say it anymore is because it's not the only religious holiday people celebrate."
    NO you say it as an affiliate with your religion, if you are not have that religion you simply reply with Happy Yule, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Chanukah... Why is that so hard to do? I would expect people to be pissed at the Happy Holidays for the fact you are generalizing everyone and grouping them all together don't you want to be individuals?

Like I said before Christmas is a recognized federal holiday, if you think this is unfair petition it and get Kwanzaa, Chanukah, or Imbolc to be a federal holiday.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Wow Crissy..that's sound advice but I think the OP has a better point than you do.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Why DO people get offended by it? A woman on here said she is offended by the fact that by wishing her a Merry Christmas, you are assuming she is Christian. I'm not Christian. I celebrate Christmas. I've said it before, someone could wish me a Happy Kwanzaa and I wouldn't care! I would smile and return their greeting, probably with a Merry Christmas!
    Anonymous

• Well said, Crissy, and FWIW I think your point is just as valid as the one the OP is trying to make.

If someone told me Happy Hannukah, Happy/Merry Yule, Happy Kwanzaa or (Insert whatever holiday greeting I've left out) I would respond to them with the same greeting and wouldn't assume they were being disrespectful to me because they didn't use their psychic powers to discern my religion/beliefs. I said Merry Christmas WAYYYY before I was a Christian and I'm certainly not going to change that now. I think any holiday greeting should be accepted with the basic message behind it being, "Have a nice day during this time of year we've set special time aside to celebrate family and friends."
    Anonymous

• Why say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?     MARRY CHRISTMAS EVERY ONE     IT IS NOT happy holidays at my home.........................               http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAckfn8yiAQ

Anonymous

• Ooops, someone removed my answer! It was: Who gives a crap???!!!!!!

Anonymous