where do I start? thinking about donating to the homeless.....

I got very inspired today. a friend of mine is reno, nv is helping the homeless in her community and with the snow they are getting, some of the homeless are without gloves and other clothes to keep them warm. I told her I would try to help out and knit some scarves and hats. This also got me to realize, they are all the way in reno, I am all the way in south georgia, why not help out my community as well! It doesnt get as cold here as it does there, but we certainly have our cold days and nights. So far I have contacted some local moms to see if we could get together and have a "knitting party" then donate what we made...but this is where I'm stuck. I cant see us walking downtown handing stuff out since most of us would have to drag our kids along, should I donate what we made to the homeless shelter and have them hand them out? what would you do?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.knitforkids.org/

One more for your consideration. Good for you! I'm sure your donations will be much appreciated no matter where you end up giving.

PS--I'm in GA too, but in the Atlanta 'burbs.

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2009

• I think just donate the stuff to a homeless shelter or the salvation army.

Answer by louise2 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• im in ga where are you? email me and i can try an help...i dunno how to knit but i can sew!!!??!!

i donate canned food to the local food pantry and money to the local church who help with power bills.... i also love blanket drives...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• thank you louise! Yes that is probably what I'll do. The salvation army and our local homeless shelter are very involved in donating to the community!
    SwaneyL I havent seen any blanket drives in my town..yet! But I would LOVE to donate to that! I have so many receiving blankets I'd love to give away
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I did see a good local news story about people stuffing bags with snacks and giving them out for homeless people . i KNOW THERE ARE HOMELESS SHELTERS ASKING FOR DONATIONS AND THEY HAVE LISTS OF THINGS WHAT THEY WOULD LIKE YOU DO DONATE.
    Anonymous

• yes I just looked at my local homeless shelter's website and they have a huge list of things!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Georgia Homeless Shelters hope that helps. Just click on the orange dot for an address.

Anonymous

• I donate all my clothes and shoes to goodwill or the salvation army or you can drop the clothes off at a church and they have ways to get them to the homeless in your community
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• pathways to housing. look them up. http://www.pathwaystohousing.org/

Anonymous

• i would find a place that doesn't charge like goodwill or the salvation army. They charge for everything. instead donate to a place that hands it out for free to the homeless.
    Anonymous