What would you do if your 9 month old had 103.5 fever at 2 a.m.?

Mine did last night. I panicked a little woke up Dh ready to take him to the er. I just decided a call to the Ped. was in order. I call get the answering service, then the nurse practioner calls me back. I told her the situation. Plus bad cough and I just had him in Sat. seen by her. She gave me some cough medicine and said what he had was viral. Anyways, she said "whats you point"? I was taken back a little. My point is my 9 month old has 103.5 fever and I'm about to run him to the ER. Well she claimed that if it wasn't 106 then after motrin it would be ok. Did I overreact?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no because if the fever is to high for to long it can cause brain damage..well thats what my dr. says...i always call the ped call service if anything hapens after hours..but sometimes i do take them to the er since the local hospital is 5 minutes away and we live in a small town so its never a wait..
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• You did not overreact. If a baby is running a 106 fever, chances are, the baby is going to die. I don't know who this lady is, but she gave you the crappiest advice i've ever heard!.
    If your baby wakes up with a 103 fever, maybe give him/her a bath, change them, give them motrin or tylenol and watch to see if the fever persists or not. If you cannot control the fever with meds and it continues for more than a day or two, I would definitely see his/her doctor and turn in whoever told you that bunch of bull!
    That I know of, there is no cough med on the market for kids under the age of 2. So I wouldn't take that either.
    I HATE when people belittle you because of your concern for your child! I hope you don't ever have to talk to her again! That's just ridiculous! Hope baby feels better soon!
    Anonymous

• I would first take all the babies clothsoff, execpt for the diaper. Then give him/her some Motrin. Give it an hour or so to work. Checking the fever every half an hour. If the motrin did not reduce the fever. I would then call the doctor.
    She is right 103 is not that high for a baby.

Answer by louise2 at 3:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• no. take him into the ER right away. a fever over 103 can cause brain damage and ear damage and make him go deaf. dont listen to your dr. and the best advise anyone can give you is get a new one. u can NOT give him cough medicine. that is terrible too. give him some tylonel and a cold wash cloth. talk to a new doctor. best of luck sweety and i hope your little one is ok.
    lots of love goes out to you.
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I would do this: First Motrin, then rub her with a cool cloth or even a coolish bath. Get behind her neck and wrists. Even just sit her by the sink and put her hands and feet under cold water. Give her cold water to drink. It will go right down, no need to bother her with a car trip when you can bring it down quickly. It's always scary the first time it happens.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• The best thing to do for a baby with a fever is this:

Remove any hot clothes, put him in a cool bath. Give a dose of infants tylenol, go by weight not age. Wait for about an hour. Take his temperature again. If it has NOT gone under 101, then call your pediatrician. If it is under 101 at that point, just keep an eye on it. Give him lots of water or milk to keep him hydrated since fevers cause excess fluid loss. you can alternate infants tylenol and motrin every 4 hours for better effect at keeping the fever down. Keep him dressed cool, covered with a light sheet or thin blanket. But no I don't think you overreacted at all, and if I were you, if the lady you spoke to was your regular pediatrician, I would be looking for a new one!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I probably would have went to the ER
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 3:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I know it is scary but high fevers are normal for little ones...what is high and dangerous for an adult is normal for a baby. Once you get to 105 you need to get a little concerned..especially if it lingers. Just remember that fevers are a natural way for the body to "burn off" illness, so it is healthy (within reason). If baby isn't too uncomfortble I would just do a warm washcloth and hydrate. If he's uncomfortable give motrin, but only if he's uncomfortable. My oldest has had fevers as high as 105 that lasted days and hallucinations with it, so I understand your concern.
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 3:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't do anything. I'd keep baby comfortable and hydrated and that's it.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 4:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I would take baby to the hospital , better safe than sorry is my motto
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2009