If your son or daughter had a sports practice scheduled on Christmas Eve, what would you do?

Would you make them go? Would your kids want to go? Would you be furious? Would they skip it? Would you ask the coaches if they were on crack?

I'm asking NOT because I'm a coach, nor would I ever schedule a practice on a holiday; but because two out of the three of my kids at home have sports practices scheduled for that day. I'm pretty ticked, myself. Debating on whether or not I'm going to send them, but I don't know if/how much trouble they'll get into if they miss it. I'd hate for them to get benched because they miss a practice scheduled on a holiday.

BTW - for us, Christmas Eve might as well be Christmas morning because we have to travel Christmas day.

GoodMomma24-7

Asked by GoodMomma24-7 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Since when is Christmas Eve more considered a reglious holiday? I know its not a federal holiday but at least in my experience it very much a reglious one. A day of reflection to consider the meaning of Christ's birth before it all overshadowed by the drama of gift giving and stuffing oneself with food?

Aws for the Easter conparison, The Easter season is celebrate over several days not just Easter day and the eve of Easter. Are we forgetting Lent, Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, and Good Friday. I wouldn't let my child's practice interfer with these occcasions either.
    Also I side with people who say family is more important. There is so little family time as it is;sports are not a forever thing, families are.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 5:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• That is just crazy! Explain that you are leaving that day and they will just have to miss the one practice. Wow....what's up with them?
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Tell them you are not going. I bet only 2 or 3 kids will show up. They will probably cancel it when it gets closer. No one will get in trouble, it's Christmas!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• This infuriates me that coaches do this!! What the heck are they thinking? My kids are not in any sports right now, but my nephew often has practice on Christmas Eve....so we have to plan our day around when he is done!! If It were me, my kids wouldn't go, wouldn't want to go and the coach would get a phone call from me explaining why they are not going! Such as we will be in church or something!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Odd.

I would keep them home. We had a HUGE to do beacuse there were games scheduled this year on a jewish holiday. Most parents kept their kids home and there were MANY teams that had to forfit or play with no extra players.

Anonymous

• A) it isn't ON a holiday
    B) the coach obviously feels that with the long break, the kids need to continue to practice (what sports? DO they have a game scheduled soon?)
    C) your child (and you as their parent) made a commitment to this activity, personally i believe that they should be taught to uphold their commitments.
    D) IF your child is only one of 2-3 to show up, it works in their favor because they will have more 1 on1 time to work on individual progress!
    E) who is to say that the coach isn't planning something special? (and NOT telling the kids)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• lol I know! I swear, sometimes these coaches act as if nothing else in life matters except for their little school sport they coach.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I wouldn't send them!
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 3:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Here's for ObbyDobie:

A) It is a holiday for many families.
    B) The coach is obviously a little narcisistic if he feels that a GAME or SPORT is more important than the kids' time with thier families for the holiday.
    C) That still doesn't make it nice, polite, acceptable, or even decent for a coach to do such a thing to a family on the holidays.
    D) That's STILL not more important that family. HELLO - kids grow up and don't play these sports anymore. Unless they're out to go pro, it's A GAME. It's not life.
    E) I doubt it.
    GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• growing we had practice on christmas eve (it depended on the day but if it was a scheduled practice thats when we did it) ....its basiclly just another day. so it happens to be the day before a holiday.

people have practices and games the day before Easter right? its as important as Christmas....

its NOT the holiday. its the EVE of the holiday.
    Anonymous