OMG. HELP!

So, my whole family ended up getting this horrible flu ( not the swine flu ) and my baby is in the middle of it all. :( What to I do? I'm worried about him getting sick, not to mention that I'm already sick. My syntoms are diarea and nausea and same with everyone elses. So, if my baby gets any of those, how do I handle it? like, what can I give him for diarea or vomiting? if he does end up getting sick, that is.

My babies 7 months and 23pounds.

CandieGirl09

Asked by CandieGirl09 at 3:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you are breastfeeding keep doing it !!! It will help give the babty antibodies against what you all have and keep him hydrated. If you're not bfd'ing, just give him formula and some water (not a lot) if he gets sick to keep him hydrated. If he isn't making many wet diapers and you fear dehydration, call the pediatrician. Just make sure everyone is washing hands, blankets, etc. around baby.
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 3:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• You can't give him any medicines at his age for those things. My pediatrician said that is the way they get harmful bacteria out is by diarrhea and vomiting so best not to stop it unless it gets so bad where they are getting dehydrated. Best things to do is give small sips of water every few minutes (a bottle or sippy cup works best so they don't drink too much at once). For fevers use infants tylenol and infants motrin alternating them every 4 hours. Give Tylenol, then 4 hours later Motrin, then 4 hours later tylenol, etc. You MAY want to ask your pediatrician about natural remedies for nausea like ginger or peppermint. I'm not sure if the baby is too young for those, so I don't recommend them without asking your doctor. If fever is above 101 for 3 days or longer, a dr visit is necessary. If it goes over 104, take him to the ER. That's what I've always been told anyway by the pediatricians. Good luck, pray he doesn't get it!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Clear liquids only, no milk ...Tylenol or Motrin for fever. Good luck and practice good hand washing!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Just nurse him as much as possible. Human milk is the best thing for keeping hydrated and getting all the nutrients he needs to get better... also, your antibodies will help him to get better as quickly as possible.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• i agree about the bfing.. i have 4 kids... my 3 older ones (6,4 and 2 yr old) all got the swine and the baby didn't ... breast milk is the best thing for them FULL of everything good for them :D............ you can't worry about "what if?" until it happens and IF it does your dr. will help you thru it :) HOPE baby stays ehalthy for you!... and i hope you feel better soon as well :D
    mommy-2-3

Answer by mommy-2-3 at 3:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Stay calm, no point crossing the bridge til you come to it! If he gets sick with diarrhea or vomiting the first thing to do is go to your DR. Babies are vulnerable, far more than adults and bigger kids, they can dehydrate quickly. Every doctor on earth would rather you be cautious and ask for help than not ask and regret. He is going to get sick sometimes and you can't stop it, in fact that is exactly how he will build up his own immune system.
    Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Even if the baby is throwing up they can breastfeed. It is so easily digested even if it down for a short time some of the good things can be absorbed.

They used to say not to give formula to a vomitting baby. I have read now that it is ok to give formula to prevent dehydration. You may want to ask your baby's doctor.

If your baby is breastfed he may not get sick at all. If he does get sick than he may not get very sick.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If he does catch your stomach bug (it's not the flu), he's liable to have a lighter case than any of the rest of you (it tends to run that way....each progressive person who gets it has a slightly lighter case)

1) Call your pediatrician and see what the DOCTOR wants you to do.
    2) Do NOT stop giving breastmilk or formula. Cut back as much as you can until the stomach settles...but don't stop giving the main source of nutrition. (the "clear liquid" advice is not for babies!!!!)
    3) If the baby is eating any real food, stop while sick until he's gone for at least 6-8 hours with no vomiting. Then give only starches and carbs to help with the diarrhea.
    Anonymous