why does my 5 year old have black marks along the front of his gums?

My 5 year old son has dirty blackish colored marks along his top and bottom gums. I just recently noticed it. I'm not sure how long he has had it. When i looked at them carefully yesterday, they look like stains. But I'm unable to brush them off. They only run along the top of the teeth (on the upper gum line) and along the bottom of the teeth (on the lower gum line). Not the entire top and bottom gums.
Does anyone know what's the cause of this or has seen or heard of anything like this before? He said it doesn't hurt and none of his baby teeth has fallen off yet, but i'm afraid it might be gum disease or something. Will be taking him to a dentist soon. Just want to search for some quick answers. Thanks.

tiqntchai

Asked by tiqntchai at 3:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Could it be his permanent teeth coming it?

Answer by Bmat at 3:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Have him checked for lead poisoning, a dark bluish black line can be a common sign of lead. Children under the age of 6 are at a higher risk of lead poisoning even with the awareness level.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Take him to a dentist, it could be gum disease.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• His teeth are all still solidly implanted into the gums. Don't look like they are going to fall out anytime soon.
    I'm going to take him to a dentist this weekend. But i never thought about lead poisoning. I should call the pediatrician tomorrow. Thank you all.
    tiqntchai

Answer by tiqntchai at 9:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2009