This is getting ridiculous!

My son is 6 months old, I'm trying to wean him because I'm done with school in 2 weeks and I'm going to start my externship... I feel bad because I love the bond but I know it is time... Needless to say, he wants the tit ALL the time, he will take a bottle once in a blue moon from me, he's even got especially clingy at night wanting to use me as a pacifier the whole time... what can I do to make this easier on both of us? And btw he refuses a binky

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 3:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It does not have to be all or nothing. You can breastfeed at home and supplement with formula or pumped milk while you are apart. I worked full time and breastfed for 23 months.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Since your baby can eat solids it will make it easier. Your baby can eat solids when you are gone and that will reduce the amount of milk you need to leave. In a couple of months you may need to leave no milk at all. My DIL went back to work when my grandson was about 9 months and never pumped or left milk. He ate solids while she was gone and breastfed when she was with him.

It's not supposed to be easy to wean. Babies are supposed to nurse 2-3 years or longer. It's hardwired into their brain to want to nurse and the smart (strong willed) babies won't take a bottle or pacifier.

Your baby will be healthier if you continue to breastfeed. That means you will miss fewer days taking care of a sick child. If you are putting him in day care this is very important. Of course home care is better.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Solids (baby food) are NOT supposed to replace breast milk or formula at this age! Nor should you be leaving milk. He shouldn't have milk yet at all!

You're going to need to pump enough breastmilk or leave formula for him through the day....NOT replace it with solids. You try that and he's going to be up all night wanting to nurse because of the severe lack of calories!!!

Once he starts table foods, then you can expect a natural slow decrease in the need for liquid nourishment.

Gailll....again, you're so far off base with you advice it's insane.
    Anonymous

• Anon, while I agree that solids aren't going to replace milk at this stage, they can help. And I believe when saying "milk" Gailll is referring to mothers milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• you shouldn't replace breast milk with solids he is too young his main source of calories and vitamins is suppose to come from formula/ breast milk I would pump for the time I'm away and breast feed when I can.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 7:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Try cutting out the day feedings first since that is when you will be away from him. Continue nursing at night and then slowly wean him off of those, too. I had a similar situation and this is what worked for me. Do you cosleep?
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 9:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• yes I co-sleep
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 8, 2009