What should I look for/ask when picking an in-home childcare provider?

I'm currently looking to put my 2 year old in an in-home daycare and I'm really nervous about it. I don't really know what I'm doing, help me! What are some questions I should ask? What things should I look for? What should I ask when I call their references? Any other advice would be very much appreciated!

jellyphish

Asked by jellyphish at 3:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in General Parenting

• I work for a child care resource and referral agency, and this is the checklist we provide to parents

http://www.naccrra.org/docs/parent/38IndicatorsChecklist.pdf

if you have any questions, feel free to PM me
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I went through this as well when I put my 7 WEEK OLD!!! in home daycare.... Visit, while the kids are there so you can observe how she runs her home daycare. Ask questions about everything! Is she state licensed? that was a biggie for me the state of Georgia can drop in on her anytime and if she is not up to par they will shut her down. The state has actually called me to get my opinions of her as a provider.

Cleanliness is a biggie too, how many other children does she keep, what are the ages - how you think your child will intercat with the kids she already has...

Ask to speak with the mothers of the children she keeps now - that will be your best feedback.

But most importantly, your "gut" will probably tell you when you have found the right one - someone who will care for and LOVE your child!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 4:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Why do you want to run an in-home daycare? What was the worst experience you ever had in this business, and how did you handle it? What do you like to do in your free time? What kind of snacks do you provide? What happens if you get sick and can't work? What is your least favorite thing about your job? How many other children will you have in your home, maximum? How do you handle temper tantrums?
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• How do you discipline your own children? If it is different from how you discipline your day care kids, how do you handle that? If I happen to be late, what is your overtime charges? Under what circumstances would you call me? Fever? Hard fall?

How do you handle nap time and where do the kids sleep? Will she be able to sleep when she's tired, or do you have a set schedule you stick to? (Or, would you follow the schedule I have set up?)

fivefikes

Answer by fivefikes at 9:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2009