I got scammed by 2 teenagers with legitamate papers regarding children's literacy

Two teens saying they were working with their school and a company called FTFT came to my house saying they were selling magazines to help raise $ for a childrens literacy program. If I answered a survey they would be eligible to go on a trip to Italy, so i said ok I'll answer your survey to give you guys a chance. Then they handed me pamphlets of all the magazines. I could get a 2 year subscription of Humpty Dumpty stories plus games and interactive DVDs for $22, and that included a portion of their complete earnings of the year going to another charity of my choice. I decided to do that because i felt like it was legitimate due to the paperwork they had on them. The handed me the receipt and it was for $63.I asked them why they said it was for $22 and it was instead that price and he said they added shipping and handling plus a contribution to the charity i chose (cancer research).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• They then asked me to sign a form verifying that cancer research was where I wanted my "contribution" to go to. I was stupid and signed it. I then told them i changed my mind and didnt want to be part of it but they said because i signed the form (which did say the charity on it0 i was obligated, but had the choice of sending in a written cancellation in 3 days. So i sent in the cancellation form and called the # on the sheet to confirm they got it. The lady told me she couldn't guarantee I would get anything back. I went off on her and told her this was fraud and was getting a lawyer and calling BBB. I got everything taken care of, I even called my bank to stop payment and they were more than happy to help. I cant believe I fell for this. Everything was so professional looking and looked just like proper forms for everything. I was even given a paper to claim the contribution on my taxes.
    ericalyne

Answer by ericalyne at 4:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I am such an idiot for believing these kids. I usually never do anything like that, but i thought, hey, maybe if i do this something good will happen to me. I honestly thought i was doing something good and it turned around to bite me in the ass. So, this is just a warning for all you moms out there. Hope the same doesn't happen to you. But thank God I got everything resolved.
    ericalyne

Answer by ericalyne at 4:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I only give money to those under 5' tall who I actually know. The others, I ask for information on how to mail a donation or ask that information be mailed to me. If this can't be done, they are not legit, and I call the police.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• eh did that a few years ago.. these kids who were prob 16 were all riding around..and we live in a small town with only one high school and i didnt know these kids cuz i had just graduated.. so i gave them cash but them i got the mags,, but i was so scared after the fact..if i woulda gave them a check it coulda been bad..i dont give anyone a check anymore because i know how easy it is to copy them.. i reordered from a company last year and noticed there was no real verification to make sure i was real so i gave up on checks..
    Anonymous

• Even on this site I'm finding scam artist preying on people good nature and people are falling for it.  You just never know who's behind the screen names.  Many are just newbies telling sobbing stories that they told many times before and it's worked. 

Always pay attention to the little red flag in you when something doesn't feel right. I never buy anything on door to door unless I see the product.  For example candy. 

Anonymous

• Unless I know who is at the door, I pretty much have stopped answering the door. Or I answer it while holding my daughter (3.5 months) and then I have two dogs that are going crazy and then I look like I have enough to deal with that they are like, um, we'll come back later...
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 8, 2009