Any Dentist HORROR Stories?

When I was a child ( under age 10 ) we had a mean dentist whom would jerk your jaw around to the position he wanted and would tell you to shut up. And after pulling a tooth or working on one, same thing, grabbing your mouth and not numbed up much at all.

My son had a dentist like that recently and he would say,' Mom, he is fine. He is just crying to cry.' I said," you should wait longer for the novacaine to work, you just shot him up walked away and walked back. I thought you wait 5-10 minutes.'

He said, 'I've been doing this work for over 40 years, do you want to do this? He is FINE."

My son has a new dentist!!!

Care to share YOUR stories?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I used to work for a Dentist-- the only horror stories I have are seeing people who have neglected their mouth/teeth (some mouths were sooooooo gross!!!!!), or have been to 'quack' dentists who were cheap and did not bother to do things correctly. There was 1 quack in my area and we knew that whenever we would have patients come from that quack we would have alot of work to do on those patients mouths.
    Anonymous

• got a couple...the FIRST time i brought in my children to the dentist, they were long overdue, i waited years till i brought them in and when i finally did, i said "well thier teeth are rotting here and there and they need fixing" ok...something along those lines..the pediatric dentist looks at me and says "how do you know?" like i dont know who my kids are or i was telling him how to do his job or something. i mean i was really excited they were getting thier teeth fixed then that a-hole made me feel tiny. they went there for a while but now they dont go there no more.

my sis went to a dentist i made an app. at and i never been there before. she says, that they fixed a cavity and apparently didnt do it right so now its all messed up. so i canceled that and went to another one. whew!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I don't remember how old I was but my mom used to take us to an old retired military dentist. He was brutal! I don't remember exactly when it happened but I was crying and decided I wasn't gonna open my mouth because I knew he was going to hurt me. He slapped me right across the face! Of course I couldn't tell my mom because she would have beat my ass for makiing the dentist slap me.
    I told my mom about it about 10 years ago, she agreed that she probably would have "spanked" me, and told me that the same dentist wrote in my chart that I was a spoiled brat!
    Anonymous

• oh yeah i should mention my children's ex-pediatric dentist always used to call my sis "mom" like she was the mom of my children, he was kinda creepy, he'd just say it and not even ask first who she was or how she was related.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I am taking care of a resident at work right now who has brain damage and is now mentally handicapped because he had a dentist botch up a surgery which went to his head. He is on ly 40yrs old and that is fked up that a dentist appointment landed him incapable of taking care of himself and in a nursing home. Nicest guy though but very sad.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• This has to be the worst story ever. I had a bridge fallen off and when it came off a huge piece of my molar came off with it. Long story short an extraction was needed. The root canal was scheduled and to the dentist merit I would say I felt nothing. He was awesome, I even took a nap during the root canal. Well it happened on a Saturday. He game me prescriptions for pain, swallowen and what have not. When I made it to the pharmacy, his number wasn't valid in the State of Texas. He had relocated from Florida and they couldn't fulfill my prescription. I called the after hours emergency number to no avail, I left several voice messages because the anesthesia was wearing of, it was the weekend. I was left to fence a root canal with out any medicine for pain over the weekend. Men he was a good dentist but he made me suffer many times over for his carelessness and that's my horror story.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 4:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Let's see, drilling and fillings and trying on different sized caps without getting me properly numbed first, refusing to stop when I said it hurt and not giving any pain meds after, that was my dentist when I was 10. He did have the grace to apologize after the one visit and not charge us for the follow up. Then this year I had a hygienist inform me that my teeth were the way they were because I was ungrateful for the care I had received before. I'm dreading going back to the office on Thursday because I had a corner of my molar come off, can't wait to hear what she has to say about that!!!
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 5:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Not my story but my neighbor had her wisdom teeth pulled years ago. She was in her late 40s. Her lower teeth ended up being grown into her jaw and the dentist didn't realize it and kept pulling and pulling and almost broke her jaw trying to get the teeth out before he realized the problem. She came home all messed up, her jaw swelled to kingdom come and on some really serious pain killers. She was afraid of the dentist before. Now she is terrified to go back.
    On the opposite end I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 21. I went in, they sedated me, surgically removed the teeth and I was out within 2 hours (spent an hour in recover until I could walk again).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• My dentist retired and so I was forced to find a new one.I went to this one that was highly recommended by a friend.The dentist told me I needed over $4000 of work done,and I was like WTF?! I didn't believe him and took my x-rays to another dentist who informed me that all I had wrong was ONE cavity starting and other than that,all was well.I found out from my new hygenist that the other one was indicted for insurance fraud and did unnecessary work on folks to get money out of them! Who does that??!!!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 6:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• OMG OP! That just scares the heck out of me!
    My parents couldn't afford us to see a dentist regularly so before I was 16 I think I went to one about 3 times total. Each time I had cavities and even with the novacaine I still felt the pain when they drilled deep enough. When I was 16 I had the last appt of the day so the dentist told his secretary to go on ahead home and it was just me and him. He had to pull a bad tooth, but the darn thing wouldn't stop bleeding. So he takes out his stethoscope and begins checking my heartrate on my chest. Then he makes a comment about my breasts and pulls my shirt down to get a good look at them. I jumped up out of that chair and ran out the door - I was so scared!
    I didn't return to ANY dentist until 24 years later when I had an infection in a tooth and needed an antibiotic.
    I finally found a female dentist who is taking good care of me, but I'm still petrified.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:10 AM on Dec. 8, 2009