Husband's company is doing massive layoffs

He doesn't know what will happen next...so I'm getting into save mode of course (he's the sole household income atm) would you buy a Christmas tree? I'm thinking of not doing it, but he still wants to...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you do, there are places that are reasonable priced.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 4:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Depends on the age of the children. If there are children over 3 I think I would buy a small tree if I already had a stand and lights and stuff.

When we were very poor we knew a place that would give us a tree on Christmas eve. We could pick whatever was left. If you don't get one you might stop somewhere Christmas eve and you may be able to get a free tree.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• He needs to get moving on a job search: update his Linkedin profile, polish his resume, network, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If you already have ornaments and everything, I would get a tree. A lot of places have nice trees for less than $20. If he doesn't get laid off, you might regret not having a tree for your kids. It will keep your spirits up too! :)
    PrincessRSX03

Answer by PrincessRSX03 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I would say no but go to a thrift shop and find an artificial one for $5 if you feel you must have one. 

Anonymous

• Hmm.. well I guess it's up to you guys. :) My Mom just bought us an artificial 9 foot tree at a yard sale for $25. I didn't want an artificial tree at first, but now I'm so happy I kept it.

I'm sorry to hear about your DH's company. My DH was laid off back in March, I had to start working from home to help us out. I can help you work from home if you're interested.

Check out my website:

www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 7:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If you do just go to a dscount store like Big Lots and get a pre-lit artificial tree, then you don't have to spend money on a tree every year. Good Luck!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2009