If someone calls you but doesn't leave a message, do you call them back anyway?

My SIL called me this morning. (I saw her name on my cell phone as a missed call) She didn't leave a message. I thought about calling her back and then thought to myself that if she'd wanted me to call her back she would've left me a message. So I sent her a text (She is the TEXT Queen) to ask if she needed me to call her. She said she'd just had a quick question. I asked if she still needed an answer. She asked why I just didn't call her instead of texting. I said, well, you didn't leave a message. She didn't text me or call me back. I was going off of the theory of when I call someone and don't leave a message it usually means that whatever I called them to ask I either needed the answer immediately (so getting a call back would be useless) or I answered my own question as I was calling (again rendering a call back pointless.) Should I have called her back? Should this be my policy with her from now on?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 4:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i guess if she is the text queen and she called, it might warrant the phone call back. but if she's upset, oh well. if it is in question and it is someone you even feel like talking to, just give them a call. usually if it is my mom, hubby, or grandparents i will call back. otherwise like for my bro (who is 2 years younger than me and tech savvy) or friends, i might text. however, if it is someone who usually texts and they call, i will call back.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If I know them I call them back. My friend always leaves me long messages. I never listen to them I just see she has called and call her back when I get the chance.
    Anonymous

• LOL! I guess that would be the next question......

Do you listen to the messages someone leaves you or do you see they called and just call them back without listening?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 4:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• It depends on who it was that called me. Ex: if my mom calls she never leaves a message but I always call her back. But if its a friend and they don't leave a message I'll just send them a quick text to see what they wanted or needed.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 4:20 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• Oh and in answer to the 2nd question I very rarely listen to the messages I just call them back, unless its someone from work then I check the message first.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 4:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I don't leave messages unless I have something very specific to say . .why bother? With caller id, I see no point in leaving a message . . you already see that I've called . . so call me back. Also, leaving messages uses minutes for some people, so why use their minutes to say you've called when they can already see you've called.

The only other time I leave a message is when it goes straight to the voicemail without ringing . . then I know that I haven't appeared on the call log.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If it's Hubby, I always call back. If it's anyone else(if I know who it was) and they don't leave a message I don't call them back. If I don't recognize the number I will call it back in case it's someone calling me about my Hubby. He's on the road 4-6 weeks so if he's been in an accident I don't want to take that chance if they don't leave a message thinking they had the wrong number.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 4:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• If I missed a call I call them back. Not everyone I know leaves messages, I don't either since the invention of caller id. If I get a message I listen to it to make sure of whether or not I need to call whoever it was back which I usually need to.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2009

• I never call someone back....if they don't leave a message, I don't worry about it..it must have not been that important! Oh well!
    Anonymous

• If they leave a message, I will call back. Otherwise, nope. I'd rather never use the phone, so I'm not about to start it by calling them back and asking what they wanted.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 4:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2009